Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Switching from Earthlink to SBCYahoo! - Am I missing something?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 09-04-03, 11:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sure people are well aware of the current SBCYahoo! DSL offer - $29.95 a month, and on top of that, order through Dell and get a $75 rebate. I am currently paying %50 a month to Earthlink, and they're absolutely refusing to budge on their price, so I dopn't see the point in continuing their service now that my 1 year contract is up.

I get decent speed with Earthlink, and if I get good availibility on a file on emule, I've seen it hit 80k down, along with 35 up. They advertise their speeds as 1.5Mbps (768Kbps in certain areas) in down and 128Kbps up.

Yahoo advertise these speed with their $29.95 package:
Maximum Downstream: Up to 384K

Maximum Upstream: 128K

Now, if I'm not mistaken, I need to divide those figures by 8 to get the Kb/s that most file sharing programs work in, which would indicate that I'd be halving my download speed, and also that my upload exceeds what earthlink advertise.

Is my math correct here, and does anyone have any experience of Yahoo DSL over Earthlink?

Thanks for any replies

Mark
Old 09-05-03, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Listen very carefully...

Do NOT in any way use the Yahoo! DSL install disk default setup program. That is, if you ever want to have a usable button/advertising free Explorer environment.

Their "additions" to the browser make Kazaa look like the Wall Street Journal.

I would just install whatever driver you needed for the NIC card they supply directly through hardware manager. If you already have a NIC card, then configure the connection manually. Worst case, install Enternet 300 directly from their disk (not through the regular installer). I didn't even need Enternet 300 (the connection software) as I ended up just letting my router handle everything I needed to log on.

SBC Yahoo!'s install disk defaults are painful.

That being said, I'm happy with the service!
Old 09-05-03, 12:53 PM

tannersarms

I just wanted to let you know that I was in the same position as you were a month ago. I was an Earthlink member for more than 3 years. Then I saw the SBC/Yahoo deal and hop to it.

First of all, every Earthlink will offer you a 6 month 29.95 and 49.95 after that when you say that you want to cancel. That's what I was told, but I couldn't back out of SBC. You might want to try that first.

If you seriously want to get SBC/Yahoo, they force you to install everything from the CD. That's the only way to set up your account. You can remove it later, but it's such a pain. It's no where close to the commercials they have about easy installation.

As for the connection, well, I've had some problems. I had a couple of dropped connection and couldn't get back on. The email server that they have sucks. If you want real time email, stick with Earthlink. There is a delay on your emails from time to time.

So from my experience, I can say that I regretted jumping on this if I knew beforehand that Earthlink could give me the 6 months/29.95 and 49.95 after deal. I will be sure to go back to them after my contract is up next July. I'm counting down the days already.

Oh, BTW, I'm in Southern California...my speed is at about 160kbps when I tried to download SP1 from Microsoft. The other sites are about 90 - 100kbps.
Old 09-05-03, 02:20 PM

Thanks for the replies people. I presume that I wouldn't have to return the modem to Earthlink as I have fulfilled my years contract, so I would just be using that I would have thought (might be able to get a discount from Yahoo by bringing my own modem).

I did not know about the install CD until now. I should eb able to either install without it/ remove after install. I also only use my earthlink email as a secondary address, so that isn't really a problem.

I guess all of my concerns boil down to 2 things - Speed Vs Cost. Earthlink is alright, considering I've not had anything else to compare it to, but having become used to that speed, I don't want to drop any less than what I have. I read somewhere that SBC gave users a free upgrade on the speeds they offer, but the advertised speeds above don't seem to reflect that.

Any further opinions?

Cheers

Mark
Old 09-06-03, 02:22 AM

If it's because of the 29.99 for a year deal, then go for it. If you want reliability, then you might want to do more research before signing anything. I think it was at www.dslreports.com is where I hit first when I needed more info. You should look for your area to see if there are any comments.

The uninstall process is not so bad. Just wait till everything is done and that you are online, then you can copy all the information down and then uninstall the programs you don't need. If you are unsure of anything, then just leave it.

As for speed, I download more then I upload, so I wouldn't know the upload speed.

SBC will give you a new modem with all the connections stuff, but you have to pay the shipping upfront, which was like 12 bucks for me through UPS. It took a week to get here.

One important note though, there is no trial period unless you specifically ask for it to be noted on your account. So before you do anything, just ask about the SBC deal and make sure you say that you want a trial period. Sometimes the CS will cut you a break and state trial on the account, if not, then it's on you.
Old 09-06-03, 07:44 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

you guys notice that phone calls are much quieter/softer with the filters? it makes it pretty annoying.