Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Help purchasing DVD Recorder

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 06-29-03, 08:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After reading as much information I could on DVD-R and DVD+R, I am still more confused then ever on which model to purchase. I really dont want to be stuck with an unsupported system in the next year or two. However, I have noticed more online retailers have been carrying solely + Devices....could anyone give their opinions and model around or below $200....Thanks
Old 06-29-03, 08:59 PM
X
Administrator

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Do a search in this forum for "burner". We've discussed it quite a bit.

I am noticing that DVD+R media has just about come down to the same price as DVD-R. But I still prefer -R for compatibility with standalone players.
Old 07-01-03, 04:42 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My new DVD- + Rw makes a +R 4.2 GB (data) disk in about 20 minutes!

Same drive took 54 minutes with same data on a DVD-R. Thats a big plus.
Old 07-01-03, 06:08 PM
X
Administrator

I've heard that +R takes less time to begin and finalize a DVD than -R, but your huge difference in burning time sounds more like burning at different speeds due to the media.
Old 07-01-03, 06:45 PM
Suspended

Optorite DD0203 (Sanyo component) Dual format is w/o a doubt the best deal you'll find on the market right now. It goes for $195 + $5 s/h @ newegg.com. Comments by current owners. Optorite has just released the new v2.09 firmware today which now utilizes all 8MB of buffer.

You'll need at least Nero v551028 to recognize this drive.

Specs:

- BURN-Proof: prevents Buffer Under Run
- HD-BURN: record twice the capacity of CD-R media
- 8 MB internal buffer
- Motorized easy touch tray loading
- Firmware upgradeable
- Installation: horizontal and vertical
- 4X Max. DVD+R and -R Write, 2.4X Max. DVD+RW Rewrite, 2X Max. DVD-RW Rewrite, and 12X Max. DVD-ROM Reading
- 24X Max. CD-R Write, 10X Max. CD-RW Rewrite and 40X Max. CD-ROM Reading
- Random Seek: DVD: 130ms and CD: 100ms

Last edited by FuzzyBallz; 07-01-03 at 06:50 PM.
Old 07-16-03, 08:38 PM

Gosh, a person can get a headache reading all about the +/- wars. Anyways, I'm curious if anyone has some thoughts on the Tritton TRI-044x, which is an external DVD+RW/+R burner. It comes packaged with Pinnacle and DVD X software for around $350 after rebates at Newegg. I'm also considering the Sony DRX510UL, which supports both DVD +/- RW. ANy comments are greatly appreciated!!
Old 07-16-03, 09:27 PM

Another follow-up question. With any of the products mentioned above, do I need to buy a video capture card in order to convert my Hi8mm tapes to dvd?

Also, I just read about the pioneer dvr-a06 internal DVD +/- RW burner!! Any comments from current owners?
Old 07-16-03, 11:59 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I have heard great things about the Sony, which is probably what I'm going to end up with in future.
Old 07-17-03, 06:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by queendvd
Gosh, a person can get a headache reading all about the +/- wars. Anyways, I'm curious if anyone has some thoughts on the Tritton TRI-044x, which is an external DVD+RW/+R burner. It comes packaged with Pinnacle and DVD X software for around $350 after rebates at Newegg. I'm also considering the Sony DRX510UL, which supports both DVD +/- RW. ANy comments are greatly appreciated!!
Given the choice, I would go with the +/- combo drive.
Old 07-17-03, 07:38 AM

Yes, I think it's safer to go with the +/- drive so I'll end up getting either the sony or pioneer. With either of these, will I still need to buy a video capture card in order to transfer my Hi8mm tapes to dvd? Sorry if that's a dumb question but I'm a newbie with this stuff. Thanks.
Old 07-17-03, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, I think it's safer to go with the +/- drive so I'll end up getting either the sony or pioneer. With either of these, will I still need to buy a video capture card in order to transfer my Hi8mm tapes to dvd? Sorry if that's a dumb question but I'm a newbie with this stuff. Thanks.
If your camera uses RCA cables for output (which I assume it does), then you would need to get a seperate capture card. Between the card and the burner, you should have all the software included you need to transfer/burn.
Old 07-17-03, 11:06 AM
X
Administrator

Originally posted by Wolf Husky
I have heard great things about the Sony, which is probably what I'm going to end up with in future.
Am I mistaken or isn't this the only brand you buy anyway? At least that's what I gather from the Home Theater Forum.
Old 07-17-03, 12:54 PM

Chew, can you recommend any capture cards? I'm having trouble even finding the darn things on websites. I'm probably not searching under the proper nomenclature. Thanks.

p.s. I have the Sony Handycam TRV68 and my pc is pentium iii, windows me.
Old 07-17-03, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, I have the ATI All-in-Wonder 7500 Radeon. It can be found at Best Buy and Circuit City, among plenty other places. It includes the necessary software to capture in whatever format you want.

There's plenty of other capture cards out there, but this one works best for me.
Old 07-17-03, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Chew, can you recommend any capture cards? I'm having trouble even finding the darn things on websites. I'm probably not searching under the proper nomenclature. Thanks.

p.s. I have the Sony Handycam TRV68 and my pc is pentium iii, windows me.
Follow-up:

Check out http://www.dvdrhelp.com/capture
http://www.dvdrhelp.com/author

The quicker your computer's processing speed, the better it will capture. If it can't keep up, it will drop frames. Based on your computer description, I'm guessing it's a little older? You may have a hard time capturing directly to DVD format. You might have to stick to VCD and then convert to DVD format using TMPGEnc.

A DVD burner will likely come with authoring/burning software, so you wouldn't need to get something like Nero.
Old 07-18-03, 08:58 AM

I will be totally bummed if my pc isn't fast enough. I have a pentium 3, 850mhz. ANd thanks for the dvdr link. It is full of good stuff!

Who knew capture cards were SO expensive
Old 07-18-03, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I will be totally bummed if my pc isn't fast enough. I have a pentium 3, 850mhz. ANd thanks for the dvdr link. It is full of good stuff!

Who knew capture cards were SO expensive
I have a pentium 4 with a 1.8ghz pc and it still drops a few frames in DVD format (even when nothing else is running).
Old 07-18-03, 08:02 PM

Ok, for the dvd burner, I'm going with the Sony DRU510A. Now that I've decided on the burner, I am overwhelmed by the choices for a capture card. Chew, thanks for the ATI recommendation. It seems like ATI, Dazzle and a couple others are the more popular ones. But I ran across another that I haven't read too much on and am curious if anyone out there has some comments on the ADS Instant DVD 2.0? Thanks.

p.s. I'm interested in converting my Hi8mm tapes (old Sony Handycam) to DVD.