Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Recommend a DVD burner..

Old 06-13-03, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Recommend a DVD burner..

I kmow there have probably been a zillion threads about this, but I can't search for them because "dvd" is too short of a word. "dvdrom" didnt give any results either.

As i said in my last post, i'm looking for a decent burner so I can ccopy my home videos onto dvd and my relatives will be able to watch them on tv.

twik said that most people go for a burner that only does - and not +. what models do you guys have, which ones would you buy now?

any input would help..thanks, tom
Old 06-13-03, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I have the new Sony 510A. Burns both formats very well however I have not had good luck with the +R format when it comes to playback. So if you were lookinjg to keep the costs low I would suggest a DVD-Rr.
Old 06-13-03, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

From what I hear the particular format that has the more expensive media is the one that seems to be winning the format war. I'll dig up a thread for you somewhere ...

Here it is ... fwiw of course.
Old 06-14-03, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have -R and have zero complaints. Burns perfect, plays in everything. Plus, media is much cheaper than +R.
Old 06-14-03, 04:38 PM

From my point of view, I've never really understood what the fuss over this "format war" is. Even if + is winning, so what?

Realistically, - media will still be produced because the drives still exist, and new DVD players will still support DVD-R. If + emerges as the winner, it's not like - owners will be left in the cold.

The way I see it, it really doesn't matter. Pick one and run with it. I picked - partly because Pioneer was behind it and I trust that name more than a lot of others. I only use brand name media (only Pioneer and Apple, to be specific), so I pay a little bit more than I have to, but I haven't had a single bad disc since I started using only Pioneer and Apple. Out of all the discs I've burned for others (and I've burned a lot), one person had problems, but that was because they were using a crappy DVD-VHS combo. The disc worked fine in their computer.

For every story like mine in support of -, you'll get one in support of +. They're both very similar, and I don't see how it really makes a difference.
Old 06-14-03, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just picked up a Pioneer a05 a few days ago.. Works great so far.

The whole +/- issue is not really too big of a deal being in the end, as others have said, both formats will be supported for awhile. Worst case? 18 months from now one format "wins" and by then burns will be faster and half the cost and we can just buy better ones.

I went with a - only burner over a dual +/- just for the reason of cost. I checked http://www.dvdrhelp.com/ and saw that my home player had no problems with - disks. Cost of the - and say 40 disks is still much cheaper then just the cost of a dual format burner alone with no disks, so that was the way I went.

I bought it my burner from http://avlogic.com/ cheapest I could find it on the net, even with the 8.25% sales tax punking California likes to dish out.. sigh Ouch....

Oh and Target even sells dvd-r disks now. Can pick up TDK disks in 10 packs for $25. Cheaper then online, at least for that brand name of DVD-r disks. The costco by near me sells dvd-r disks in 15 packs with DVD cases (that is just out right cool) for around $37.
Old 06-14-03, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Find out what models of players that your relatives have. Then go to an online database like the one at VCDhelp and see what formats their players will support. In general, many players will play both formats, many will only play one, and some will play neither.

Unless your relatives all bought the same model DVD player, though, it's likely you'll need to burn both types of formats which is a perfect excuse to buy one of the slightly more expensive +/- burners.
Old 06-14-03, 06:07 PM
X
Administrator

Has anybody seen a standalone DVD player that will take DVD+R and not DVD-R? I have three completely different ones that will only take DVD-R.
Old 06-14-03, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My Sony C700 DVD player play DVD+R perfectly fine.
Old 06-14-03, 06:39 PM
X
Administrator

Originally posted by zuffy
My Sony C700 DVD player play DVD+R perfectly fine.
The question is, can it play a DVD+R but not play a DVD-R?
Old 06-14-03, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by X
The question is, can it play a DVD+R but not play a DVD-R?
It will play -R/+R perfectly fine. I will get intermittent lockup with DVD+RW though. I have not try DVD-RW yet and probably never will.
Old 06-14-03, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk God

nam,
get a pioneer

you can take advantage of one of the many big deals that staples normally has on the cendyne dvd-r (normally around 130)
in most cases, the cendyne is just a rebadged pioneer burner
Old 06-15-03, 03:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by X
Has anybody seen a standalone DVD player that will take DVD+R and not DVD-R? I have three completely different ones that will only take DVD-R.
Unfortunately, the Philips player that I gave my sister a couple years ago is one such beast. I can get the model number if you'd like, but being as Philips is a big DVD+R proponent, I wouldn't be surprised if all of their machines weren't like this.

In my limited experience, I've found DVD-R discs to be more widely compatible, but given that this experience is limited to a dozen or two players, I'm hesitant to make any general statements. Most of what I read seem to suggest that player compatibility between the two formats are comparable.

BTW, there's a DVD-Multi logo spec from the DVD Forum that mandates official support for DVD-RAM, DVD-R, and DVD-R/W; but not DVD+R. It hasn't made a big impact on the market, but if you want to be absolutely certain that your new player supports a recordable/rewriteable format, look for the logo. It looks just like the DVD Video logo except I believe it says "Multi" instead of "Video" underneath the disc.