Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

win XP start menu customizing

Old 06-10-03, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

win XP start menu customizing

In Win98, you could simply right-click the "Start" button, select "Open", and have a Win 3.1 style windowed interface allowing you to change the folders present in the start menu. However, on WinXP, there are more options, such as "Open All Users", etc, and none seems to show me EVERYTHING that is on the start menu. How do I access this information so that I might customize the menu? Thank you!
Old 06-10-03, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Right Click your Task Bar next to the Start button. Then Click Properties and then click the advanced TAB. You'll see the Start Menu options here
Old 06-10-03, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

thanks for the tip, but the Taskbar properties still don't show me everything. For example, in my start menu, I have a folder called "HP LaserJet 1220". However, it doesn't show up when I right-click the start button or look under Taskbar properties. The only way I have found to delete or move it is the drag the folder when the start menu is expanded.
Old 06-11-03, 12:43 AM
Stealth Moderator

In your start menu, you see everything that is in these two folders:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu
C:\Documents and Settings\yourusername\Start Menu

If you're the only user, then you can cut and paste everything from the second folder to the first folder. Now, you'll see everything in the first folder (and so will all the other users using your computer).