Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Region-free PC software questions / recommendation request

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Region-free PC software questions / recommendation request

Old 05-30-03, 05:54 PM

DVD Region Free Software for PC -- Does it actually work?

I just bought a new PC with a DVD drive. Has anyone tried the “DVD Region-Free” software? It sold on a website called DVDIDLE.COM which I found. Does it actually work? Has anyone tried it out? Are there any issues I should know about before I fork over the $39.95?
Old 05-30-03, 06:18 PM

I don't know about that one but I'm using a combo of PowerDVD and DVD Region Killer (free) on my laptop for sometimes and it works pretty well.

I don't know how much PowerDVD is, but I don't think it's more than $40. PowerDVD is likely a better player than "DVD Region-Free" software
Old 05-30-03, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'll second DVD Region Killer works great and I am running Power DVD also and Windows 2000 Pro..
Old 05-31-03, 03:23 AM
Cool New Member

my windvd software on my computer works.
Old 05-31-03, 04:23 AM
FMJ

QSI cdrw/dvd SBW-241, region free software

does anyone know where i can find a program to make my Laptop dvd player region free?

QSI cdrw/dvd SBW-241 is my player.
and im running under win xp

tnx alot
Old 05-31-03, 07:45 AM

If www.rpc1.org doesn't have a solution, you probably won't find it elsewhere . Be sure to read all the instructions ... as it says: "Bad flashing could destroy your drive definitively."
Old 05-31-03, 08:05 AM
Mod Emeritus

For the most part , questions concerning PC hardware and software belong in the Computer Forum - for which reason I am moving this (freshly-merged) thread.

Benedict
Moderator, International DVD Talk
Old 05-31-03, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Get
DVD Region Killer (free)
OEM version of PowerDVD ($9)
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...tby=14&order=1
Old 05-31-03, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm using PowerDVD XP and WinDVD Platinum. For Region free solution I'm still using the vintage DVD Genie I got one years ago. Guess I'll switch to Region Killer if I'm not too lazy.
Old 05-31-03, 02:07 PM

DVD Region-Free works fantastically if your DVD drive, like mine, has no region free firmware or you are afraid to risk the danger of changing it. If your drive is RPC2, this program will work whereas the others will not, if I remember correctly.

If you have no other options, DVD Region-Free works great.
Old 06-02-03, 01:14 AM

Does Region Killer lock after 4 changes like Dvd Genie?
Old 06-02-03, 11:56 AM

Hey guys, quick question:

I just got my first R2 dvd, and I have an RPC switch program that I downloaded from rpc1.org. Using DriveInfo, it says that my Lite-On 16x DVD-Rom is region-free, however when I put it in my drive, WinDVD Platinum comes up with a dialog box to choose which region I am in, and shows that I have 3 changes left. The same thing happens when I used DVD Reigon-Killer. However, it works fine with both an R1 & the R2 discs when I use DVD Reigon-Free, but I don't want to spend $40 on a license.

Is there something I'm doing wrong, any advice? Thanks!
Old 06-02-03, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm very curious to see if DVD Region-Free works. My DVD drive is locked and there is no specific firmware for it. Unfortunately, I don't have any non-region-1 DVDs to try with the downloadable version of DVD Region-Free.
Old 06-03-03, 01:32 AM

I am probably going to purchase Region- Free soon. Will post what I think after.
Old 06-03-03, 02:11 PM

Update:

After a lot of research, I found out the following:

So long as your DVD-Rom is unlocked (www.rpc1.org should have something for your drive, as stated above), the free downloadable version of DVD Region-Killer should work, but DO NOT use WinDVD. I read something that had to do with ASPI drivers or something, I'm not tech enough to understand that stuff.

What I did learn was PowerDVD will work with DVD Reigon-Killer IF your DVD-Rom is unlocked.

Everything I read was at www.rpc1.org, so if you are still having problems, do more research! And have fun being region-free.
Old 06-03-03, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have a related question...if I have a region 2 DVD, and output to my TV (via s-Video out on my video card), will that play correctly on an NTSC television or will I have to convert the signal?
Old 06-04-03, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by malkmuz
So long as your DVD-Rom is unlocked (www.rpc1.org should have something for your drive, as stated above), the free downloadable version of DVD Region-Killer should work, but DO NOT use WinDVD. I read something that had to do with ASPI drivers or something, I'm not tech enough to understand that stuff.

What I did learn was PowerDVD will work with DVD Reigon-Killer IF your DVD-Rom is unlocked.
My DVD drive is LOCKED. And the firmware flash sounds like it could potentially damage my drive. In addition, there's only a generic version of the firmware that possibly might not work with my drive.

I downloaded the trial version of DVD Region-Free (without a non-region-1 disc to try it out though) and the options include WinDVD. So I guess it should work with WinDVD...? (I prefer WinDVD.)
Old 06-04-03, 04:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Lampei
I have a related question...if I have a region 2 DVD, and output to my TV (via s-Video out on my video card), will that play correctly on an NTSC television or will I have to convert the signal?
I believe there should be no problem about TV format. afaik, you can configure video out on any VGA card so it can pass or convert both PAL/NTSC signal.
Old 06-04-03, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by eedoon
I believe there should be no problem about TV format. afaik, you can configure video out on any VGA card so it can pass or convert both PAL/NTSC signal.
Cool! I shall have to give it a try.
Old 06-04-03, 09:50 AM

Originally posted by DVDude!
My DVD drive is LOCKED. And the firmware flash sounds like it could potentially damage my drive. In addition, there's only a generic version of the firmware that possibly might not work with my drive.

I downloaded the trial version of DVD Region-Free (without a non-region-1 disc to try it out though) and the options include WinDVD. So I guess it should work with WinDVD...? (I prefer WinDVD.)
Firmware flashes are always dangerous, but as long as you read the instructions carefully, you should be fine. However, if you drive doesn't seem to have a proper version, I would be skeptical about the safety as well. If you aren't too strapped for cash, a Lite-On 16x drive is around $45 shipped from everyone's favorite online computer retailer newegg.com.

DVD Region-Free did let me play my R2 disc with WinDVD, but I certainly didn't want to shell out $40 for it when I could use the money towards dvds. I prefer WinDVD over PowerDVD as well, but the only time I need to use PowerDVD is when I watch dvds from other reigons.

It all comes down to the software you prefer and the price you are willing to pay to watch your dvds. Since I had a copy of PowerDVD that came with my video card, the choice was easy: I spent no extra money on programs to watch the movie. If you chose to upgrade to a dvd drive you knew had supported firmware, maybe you should check out which ones come with a dvd software. I hope you figure out what you want to do, and good luck!
Old 06-04-03, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by malkmuz
Firmware flashes are always dangerous, but as long as you read the instructions carefully, you should be fine. However, if you drive doesn't seem to have a proper version, I would be skeptical about the safety as well.
True. I got my drive flashed when I bought it two years ago, and it's still working fine.

DVD Region-Free did let me play my R2 disc with WinDVD, but I certainly didn't want to shell out $40 for it when I could use the money towards dvds. I prefer WinDVD over PowerDVD as well, but the only time I need to use PowerDVD is when I watch dvds from other reigons.
Ditto. Also, I noticed that PowerDVD have better error correction on scratched/damaged disc than WinDVD.

Last edited by eedoon; 06-04-03 at 09:38 PM.
Old 06-07-03, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by a123slonky
Does Region Killer lock after 4 changes like Dvd Genie?
DVDgenie locks nothing! You must be using it wrong since it's meant to bypass (not touch at all!) the region changing counter of the drive.
Be sure to read the documentation, it should answer everything.