Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Athlon or Intel?

Old 05-28-03, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Athlon or Intel?

I just ordered a system with an Athlon processor mainly for down/uploading files, Net surfing, some webpage work, etc. The salesman said Athlons are actually faster and better than Intel Pentium 4. So ok, I bit. Mind you, I had went in wanting Intel 4 because my old( since '95) system has Intel.

Well a buddy of mine said his Athlon system would lock up when he opened multiple programs. He took his system back and got one with Intel and he's had no problems.

Now I'm wondering if I should cancel and order the system with Intel.

Should I worry?
Old 05-28-03, 06:01 PM
X
Administrator

Re: Athlon or Intel?

Originally posted by Giantrobo
Should I worry?
No. They're comparable and one brand is no worse than the other.
Old 05-28-03, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: Re: Athlon or Intel?

Originally posted by X
No. They're comparable and one brand is no worse than the other.

personal choice and experience right?
Old 05-28-03, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

On the average, Athlons typically run hotter but have a better speed to cost ratio. Each case is unique though, and it would depend which two processors you were deciding between. Either way, they both made a solid product, and for the casual user, it's really not going to matter.

das
Old 05-28-03, 06:47 PM
X
Administrator

Originally posted by das Monkey
On the average, Athlons typically run hotter but have a better speed to cost ratio.
The heat issue is no longer true with the latest generation of Athlons. Equivalent speed (not just clock speed) P4s actually run hotter now.

I think the cost/performance is fairly close although you can probably get an advantage from Athlon with overclocking.
Old 05-28-03, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by X

I think the cost/performance is fairly close although you can probably get an advantage from Athlon with overclocking.
you can say the same about intel though..
my last machines..

celeron 300 @ 450
celeron 533 @ 850
P4 1.6 @ 2.4
and Ive never had to do anything to push them.. also never had any problems with heat

Last edited by twikoff; 05-28-03 at 07:19 PM.
Old 05-28-03, 07:11 PM
X
Administrator

Yeah, but I've been seeing some reports of extreme overclocking of 1700+ Athlons pushed to around double their normal speed. They do require decent cooling at those levels though.
Old 05-28-03, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I was told to stay away from Celeron like the plague. They said they were low end junk. Yugos of the processor world

True?
Old 05-28-03, 07:13 PM
X
Administrator

True.
Old 05-28-03, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk God

I was told to stay away from Celeron like the plague. They said they were low end junk. Yugos of the processor world

True?
a celeron is generally the same as its pentium counterpart.. except underclocked and without the cache

not having the cache sucks.. but they generally are extremely overclockable

the celeron is generally put in business computers and such..
i would avoid them as well.. unless your planning to overclock.. in which case, the 300a (and to some extents 533) have been called the king of overclocking, back in their time.
Old 05-28-03, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

This overclocking....

I remember upgrading my processor from 60 mhz to 120 mhz years ago when 66mhz was all the rage.

Is this "overclocking?
Old 05-28-03, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This overclocking....

I remember upgrading my processor from 60 mhz to 120 mhz years ago when 66mhz was all the rage.

Is this "overclocking?
I believe overclocking is when you tell the machine that the processor is actually faster than it really is. Not certain though, I think that you change that info in the bios.

I've never overclocked, don't play games so I don't think it is necessary.
Old 05-28-03, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by twikoff
a celeron is generally the same as its pentium counterpart.. except underclocked and without the cache

not having the cache sucks.. but they generally are extremely overclockable

the celeron is generally put in business computers and such..
i would avoid them as well.. unless your planning to overclock.. in which case, the 300a (and to some extents 533) have been called the king of overclocking, back in their time.

what is cache? and why is it important?
Old 05-28-03, 09:46 PM
Needs to provide a working email

True?
It is all relative, and people tend to forget just how damned powerful ALL of today's processors are. Take a batch of today's Celeron systems and drop them into 5 years ago and people would be standing in line to pay ten thousand dollars for one because that "yugo" Celeron is much faster than any commercial processor on the face of the Earth in 1998. If you aren't doing anything heavy on your computer, a Celeron is plenty fast enough. (If you ARE doing something heavy, NO processor is fast enough. For instance, I'm trying to learn CG animation. My system is a Athlon XP 2600+ with a gig of 333 MHz DDR. On some simple animations I've been working on, it takes 10 minutes per frame to render. So one minute of video would take 10 DAYS.)
Old 05-28-03, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
from what I remember from the one class where we discussed it, cache is really high speed memory built into the cpu that stores the most frequently used instructions in a program which speeds up execution

Originally posted by db27
what is cache? and why is it important?
Old 05-28-03, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This overclocking....

Is this "overclocking?
Nope, what you did was upgrade your processor.

Overclocking is when you use your existing hardware, and adjust the system bus frequency and/or frequency multiplier to make your processor run at a faster speed than it was intended to.

Originally posted by mikehunt
from what I remember from the one class where we discussed it, cache is really high speed memory built into the cpu that stores the most frequently used instructions in a program which speeds up execution
mikehunt is correct. More cache is generally better, but there are diminishing returns. The Celeron processor, however, has historically always been given so little cache as to seriously cripple its performance compared to higher-end processors with larger caches like the Pentium 4 and Athlon.

The small amount of money you save by going with a Celeron instead of a P4 or Athlon is really not worth the amount of performance you give up. Athlons and P4's are not too much more pricey, and they provide much better performance.
Old 05-29-03, 05:00 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

mikehunt is correct

Is it?
Old 05-29-03, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Todd B.
The small amount of money you save by going with a Celeron instead of a P4 or Athlon is really not worth the amount of performance you give up. Athlons and P4's are not too much more pricey, and they provide much better performance.
If you are buying an otherwise higher-end system or building your own machine, yes. However, there are some tremendous deals on new, current-release Celeron workstations to be had out there that are usually far better than comparable deals on P4s or Athlons.

You just have to decide what you are going to use the system for. For most MS-Word/IE/Outlook-type users, a Celeron is more than enough processing power. They also make perfectly good Linux/*BSD platforms for small SOHO networks. Why spend more than $500 for a box to act as a small Samba server or a test box when there are tons of sub-$400 Celerons out there that would work nicely.

That being said, my primary workstations (both XP and Linux) are P4s.