Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

CD-Rs "For Music"

Old 05-26-03, 10:40 PM

CD-Rs "For Music"

Is there any difference in CD-Rs "For Music" and all other CD-Rs?

I assumed it was just a b.s. marketing thing, but the only burned music CDs I can get to play in my sister's 1994 car stereo are ones made on the CD-Rs For Music.

Thank you.
Old 05-26-03, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No difference except price.
Old 05-27-03, 06:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Mopower
No difference except price.
And the fact that only the "for music" ones will work in consumer stand-alone burners.

If you're using a PC burner and have tried a bunch of different brands of CDRs with no luck, I'd recommend trying CDRWs. They're probably still cheaper than the For Music CDRs.
Old 05-27-03, 09:48 AM

for newer CD Players (home stero, portable or car stereos), there is no difference. For older models, you might have difficulty playing anything other then silver discs. I have a 10 yeard old portable radio/CD player that will not play any blue-backed CDR, but if I use a silver one, it plays fine.
Old 05-27-03, 11:30 AM

The silver CD-Rs didn't work in her car either. I hadn't thought of trying CD-RWs yet though. That's my next test.

Thanks all.
Old 05-27-03, 11:47 AM
X
Administrator

I have a Sony DVD player that won't recognize any CD-R, but CD-RW works fine.
Old 05-27-03, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Try Memorex Cd-Rws. Those work on the Xbox which doesnt read cd-rs.
Old 05-27-03, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The actual difference between normal "CD-R's" and "CD-R's for Music" is that there is a royalty fee built in to the "CD-R for Music" which is paid to recording artists. This is a result of the 1992 Audio Home Recording Act. Consumer CD recorders (the kind that go with your stereo system, not the CD-R drives in your computer) can only use CD-R's for Music, so that the royalty fee you pay on the discs can compensate recording artists for lost revenue from the music that is pirated using those recorders.

This was also one of the first appearances of DRM, in which you can make a copy of the original recording, but there is a bit set such that you cannot make a copy of a copy. This anti-copying technology is in consumer CD recorders, DAT, DCC and MD.
Old 05-28-03, 12:11 AM
Mod Emeritus

One time a guy at Best Buy came up to me and asked me if I planned on burning music, as I was holding some blank CDRs and browsing in the CD section. He seemed to think that music CDRs were meant for music, while regular ones weren't good enough. I gave him Todd B's explanation, as that's what I heard before, and he got the hell away from me as soon as possible.
Old 05-29-03, 10:07 AM

I shamefully say that my first CD-R purchase was some Kodak CD-R's for music, because I thought "Hey, for music, these must sound better." Please don't ask me what I was thinking. I have since wised up, at least a bit.