0%
twiloff never worked anyway.
0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Dead hard drive?

Old 05-26-03, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Dead hard drive?

Betteer hurry 'cuz I'm shipping it back to Newegg on a RMA first thing tomorrow AM!

Okay, seven months ago I got an OEM 30GB Maxtor 7200RPM HD. It worked fine for about four months, then the computer couldn't see the dang thing, and I tried switching wires and cables around, and it did power up again, but all the data was lost so I had to reinstall everything again. Around three months, the computer sometimes wouldn't detect the drive, so it takes a few restarts, but now it won't come on at all, and I've TRIED changing jumper settings, cables, power cables, and even in another computer. NOTHING worked. I thought, well, it still could be a flaky IDE controller, threw a known working hard drive and it worked and had no problems since.

This happened to you? When the computer seemed to be unable to detect the HD at random and then total HD failure - not poweing up at all? The computer would hang at the point in IDE detection and pause for a few minutes trying to contact the HD, and coming up empty. Keep in mind that I can't do a low level format if the computer doesn't see it.

Last edited by Ranger; 05-26-03 at 05:14 PM.
Old 05-26-03, 05:19 PM
X
Administrator

You should try running Maxtor's drive utilities on it.

They have floppy-based ones that you boot from.
Old 05-26-03, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I did, it wouldn't see the hard drive at all, so it couldn't do anything. I tried to use it just a few weeks ago before it failed totally, it had done a 90 second test and it failed, but I didn't have time to do a low level format, and I'm sure that it would have done the same thing after I formatted it in the unlikely event that it would hold out long as it did.
Old 05-27-03, 02:00 PM
Banned

Have you tried substitutung a know good hard drive?
Old 05-27-03, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Ranger
..... I thought, well, it still could be a flaky IDE controller, threw a known working hard drive and it worked and had no problems since.
Originally posted by icondude
Have you tried substitutung a know good hard drive?
I just shipped it back this morning.