Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Question on creating a DVD (I'm using TMPGEnc and Nero).

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 05-23-03, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ok, I started up TMPGEnc DVD Author, and followed the steps to make a "DVD" using my .mpg's. I set up the menus and such, and it began encoding to the AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folders I specified. After about 2 hours, it finished. The AUDIO_TS folder was completely empty, but the VIDEO_TS folder was "full". I clicked one of the .VOB files to test, and the Roxio DVD MAX Player started up, and it played fine (audio and video). I started up Nero, chose to make a "DVD-Video" disc, and selected the entire VIDEO_TS directory to be copied to disc (there was nothing in the AUDIO_TS directory, so I didn't move anything there). It burned, and worked fine using the Roxio DVD MAX Player, but I get no audio when played in my standalone DVD Player (Malata 520). The info screen shows that there is an audio stream (though technically you could just have a silent stream), so what could be the problem? Did I "author" it incorrectly? Thanks.
Old 05-23-03, 11:29 AM
duz
DVD Talk Special Edition

The AUDIO_TS folder is for DVD-Audio discs. Since you were making a DVD-Video disc there was no reason for the AUDIO_TS to have any data.
Old 05-23-03, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I got this exact same problem (plays fine audio/video on the computer, DVD player no sound) using TMPGEnc a while back. The reason ended up being my player couldn't process the audio format TMPGEnc uses. I don't remember the exact format, but I believe it was mpeg sound. DVD players are only required to handle PCM or AC3 sound. What bugged me was I had a better player than my dad, but his played the discs fine because it was much newer.

The way I got around this was to add two extra steps:

1) In TMPGEnc, process your files so they end up as seperate audio and video files. If you use the wizard, there's a box on the last page (just before hitting the "go") that says to seperate.

2) Run the resulting audio file throught AC3machine. The audio will now be DD2.0 and be playable by any machine. Both AC3machine and how to use it can be gotten from http://www.doom9.org/ (also a great resource for all kinds of DVD type info)

I never burn with Nero, so I don't know if it handles AC3. I author my discs with SpruceUp, which handles AC3. They don't sell it anymore, but you can still get a copy if you search around enough. I then burn the image file with RecordNow Max.

One other idea: a while back I thought I remember reading Nero requires the audio file be included, even though it doesn't have any content. But, since your files played on your computer, the AC3 plan above is likely the correct answer.
Old 05-23-03, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

<.grumbles> I tried it in a Malata 996 and a Toshiba, and it played just fine in both of those. There's even an MPEG audio menu on the 996!

When converting to AC3, will I have the same capacity as I do now (~400 minutes)? Also, when using an AC3 stream, will the same file types be made with TMPGEnc DVD Author (the .VOB's and such)? I'm just starting with this, so I apologize if these are "silly" questions. Thanks again.
Old 05-23-03, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by cartman
<.grumbles> I tried it in a Malata 996 and a Toshiba, and it played just fine in both of those. There's even an MPEG audio menu on the 996!

When converting to AC3, will I have the same capacity as I do now (~400 minutes)? Also, when using an AC3 stream, will the same file types be made with TMPGEnc DVD Author (the .VOB's and such)? I'm just starting with this, so I apologize if these are "silly" questions. Thanks again.
Hmmm, can't really help you there. I believe the audio size will either be about the same or smaller compared to mpeg.

As to the TMPGEnc DVD author, the process I described uses standard TMPGEnc (as in my case TMPGEnc Plus v2.59) and would result in one .m2v file for the video and one .mp2 for the audio. Take the .mp2 file and process in AC3machine. Then, as long as they're named the same (for example: "sample.m2v" and "sample.ac3") and in the same folder, SpruceUp would import both the files and remuxes them when it authors either an image file or .vob files.

I would recommend going with an image file. Not only are the files put into the proper order and is therefore easier to burn, the resulting DVD tends to work better all around.