Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

UPS reboots computer instead of keeping it going

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 05-22-03, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just swapped out my old UPS for a new one with USB monitoring (Energizer brand). You can test it for 10 seconds. When I do that the computer reboots.

It's 450VA. I have a P4 with 3 harddrives but an LCD instead of a CRT. My old UPS worked fine though. The only thing plugged into the battery powered plugs are my monitor, my computer and a 4 port switch since I ran out of plugs.
Old 05-22-03, 08:49 AM

Remove the monitor from the UPS, and try the 10 second test again.
Old 05-22-03, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was just about to do that. It works without the monitor....looks like they are inflating the 450VA rating since my old 450VA UPS worked just fine.

Guess I'll put the old one back in again...or use one UPS for the computer and one for the monitor.

Hmm, if I shut down the UD Agent software ([email protected] like program) then it runs fine, even with the montior hooked back up. The P4 running full speed is pushing it over the edge.

Last edited by asabase; 05-22-03 at 09:02 AM.
Old 05-23-03, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by asabase
I was just about to do that. It works without the monitor....looks like they are inflating the 450VA rating since my old 450VA UPS worked just fine.

Guess I'll put the old one back in again...or use one UPS for the computer and one for the monitor.

Hmm, if I shut down the UD Agent software ([email protected] like program) then it runs fine, even with the montior hooked back up. The P4 running full speed is pushing it over the edge.
or the old one was not as good and the new one is letting you know you have too much on the ups.
Old 05-23-03, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I looked into it more. The old one and new were both rated 450VA and 4A and 3.9A output respectively.

The old one was 300W and the new one is 200W so that's the problem. The old one did have an overload indicator.