Reload this Page >

Problems with DirectCD?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Problems with DirectCD?

Old 02-11-03, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problems with DirectCD?

Itís nice to be able to treat a CD-RW like a floppy, being able to transfer files without additional processing.

But recently I had some files that couldnít be accessed at all. Since I havenít used process much, and have already run into a major problem Ė is it normal to expect this type of failure?

I just got a new notebook, and there were disclaimers all over the place about how CD-RW data isnít permanent and [Toshiba] isnít liable for data loss and the consequences thereof. This does not give me a warm and fuzzy feelingÖ
Old 02-11-03, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

CD-RW is not for data backup. It's only a temporary solution. If you are going for data backup, use CD-Rs. CD-RW is only good if you mean to transfer something between two computes and don't want to waste a CD. But since CD-Rs are so cheap and not many optical drives can read CD-RW, and even less if you use some kind of packet writing software, requiring both computers to be able to read packets on a CD, it kind of loses the point.

I'd just use a CD-R as they are cheap and can be read on almost any CD drive. Besides, the only real benefit of using a CD-RW being able to erase and treat it like a magnetic disk. But since you need third-party software to write and read using that method, it kind of defeats the purpose.

DirecCD is pretty buggy, in my experience. It always froze and caused my computer to run slower.
Old 02-11-03, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Data backup was not my intent.

And both computers had DirectCD on them. Whatís more, the computer that was used to write the files to CD wonít read them either.
Old 02-11-03, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Oh...

Well, ya got me, then! Sorry
Old 02-12-03, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks for trying, shaun.

This is disappointing. I had hoped for a little better response, one way or the other. I guess Iíll abandon the DirectCD concept and return to more traditional CD-RW writing practices. It may take a little longer, but what good are speed and convenience if the method is unreliable, níest ce pas?
Old 02-12-03, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Probably no help but I had this problem with a CD-R between two computers. Since then, if I know it is going to another computer, I've been closing it as a CD-ROM readable on anything. That wastes a bunch of space if I have to reopen it for drag-and-drag.
Old 02-14-03, 06:25 PM

Originally posted by OldDude
Probably no help but I had this problem with a CD-R between two computers. Since then, if I know it is going to another computer, I've been closing it as a CD-ROM readable on anything. That wastes a bunch of space if I have to reopen it for drag-and-drag.
Yes in general it is better to close the session and finalize the disc for the best compatibility.

Wizdar: What Os and versions of Easy CD Creator are you using on the two computers?