Reload this Page >

Burning 90-99 minutes on a cd?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 02-11-03, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

(Mods, close if this is too close to being illegal for you)

I've seen people talking about burning anywhere up to 99 minutes on a single cd. How is this done? Are there cd's you can purchase that are over 80 minutes? I want to make some longer cds (2 cd's removing bad songs into 1 large cd) and my biggest cds are just 80 minutes, how do I go about burning over 80 minutes on the cd? I normally use Nero but it just says that it won't fit on a cd, are there applications that have no restrictions and will burn until you wreck your cd?
Old 02-11-03, 09:24 AM

There are longer CDs out there but they are hard to find and not compatable with a lot of players. Many software packages offer the option to "overburn" the CD, giving you more room. Again, compatability can be a problem.

Nothing illegal about either option. I suggest you try overburning first, since if worse comes to worse you are only out one cheap CDR.
Old 02-11-03, 09:56 AM

Can you suggest me a good program to overburn? I know my burner can do it, but Nero does not so I can't and I'm searching for cd's, but no people seem to offer them for sale (at least on reputable sites).

Technically Groucho, burning over 80 minutes is illegal since 80 mintues is the redbook standard (I read that somewhere last night).
Old 02-11-03, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nero has an option to Overburn. Try DLing a newer version if your does not. You need to enable it in the options, and don't set the max beyond 84 minutes on a 700 MB CD
Old 02-11-03, 12:37 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Feneant
Technically Groucho, burning over 80 minutes is illegal since 80 mintues is the redbook standard (I read that somewhere last night).
That's the kind of "illegal" we don't care about here. It's only potentially illegal (or non-supported) by the device doing the reading.

Using this terminology you could call overclocking a CPU illegal too I suppose.
Old 02-11-03, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've never heard of physical discs going over 80min. standard, but Overburning (so long as your software and hardware support it) can go up to 99 minutes with some discs.

It takes some trial and error in some cases. Depending on the quality of discs you have will determine how far you can overburn in most cases.
Old 02-11-03, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've run across 100min cds before. Only once or twice.

Your only other alternative is overburning. As far as I know NERO has supported it from the very early versions. You just need to hunt down the setting and turn it on.
Old 02-11-03, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Feneant
Can you suggest me a good program to overburn? I know my burner can do it, but Nero does not so I can't and I'm searching for cd's, but no people seem to offer them for sale (at least on reputable sites).

X is right. The only way you could run into legal trouble is if you overburned CDs and then sold them, commercially, as CDs. Since you're violating the Redbook specs, they are not technically CDs. Since you'd be selling them as CDs, you could be found guilty of false advertising and possibly breach of contract with whomever owns the CD specs. Your only problems would be lawsuits from iritated customers and/or the CD spec owners.

BUT, so long as you don't sell it, you're fine. haha
Old 02-11-03, 02:57 PM

I found my answer though, I need to get some 90 minutes cds to go high, 80 minutes cds only overburn to 83:** or something but I have seen on tom's hardware guide that they had some cd's burn just over 100 using the 90 minutes ones.

Actually, their guide is very detailed, I don't have the link so I can't give it, but if you find it, good reasing.

Oh, and I can't find 90 minute cds short of importing some from the US or ordering from some pc stores I've never heard of in Ontario.
Old 02-11-03, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here are some 90 minutes CD-Rs over on eBay. Dunno if I'd wanna spend that much on 'em (after shipping), but at least it lets ya know they're out there.