Reload this Page >

Thermal Paste & CPU question

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 02-06-03, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm on my way to building my PC. My mobo manual says to apply thermal paste on my cpu and then attach my heat sink. Do I apply this over the entire cpu? Or do I just put some in the middle of it? Thanks for any help
Old 02-06-03, 10:16 AM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Just the tiniest amount to thinly and evenly cover the center core. That is, if you have a CPU newer than a P1 where the chip casing covered the core.
Old 02-06-03, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Cool, just the center core. I got a Athlon XP CPU.
Old 02-06-03, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

put some on a piece of plastic and use a credit card or some similar object to smear it over the core, make sure you have an even amount on the core.
Old 02-06-03, 12:26 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Great timing. I am doing this tonight as well. thanks
Old 02-06-03, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

is it worth buying anything better than the generic stuff that comes with the heatsink?

I didn't and mine runs at 44*C. How much improvement could I expect?
Old 02-06-03, 01:44 PM
X
Administrator

I've been using Arctic Silver II and there's a III out now. I don't know if III is better.

But when I was looking into the Arctic Silver II as compared with regular pastes I found that it really does conduct heat better and reduce CPU temps. I was seeing figures like 5-10.

As for how much improvement you in particular could expect, who knows? It depends on what your CPU is, what speed you're running it at, what your heatsink is, case and fans...

I would just say it couldn't hurt.
Old 02-06-03, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

arctic silver is the way to go.
Old 02-06-03, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

All the heat sinks I have seen have thermal compound already applied; you just pull off a covering strip of tape compound and snap the heat sink assembly on to the CPU.

The only time I used thermal paste was when I moved a CPU from one mainboard to another, and had to remove the original thermal compound supplied with the heat sink.

RD
Old 02-06-03, 05:32 PM
X
Administrator

Originally posted by DivxGuy
All the heat sinks I have seen have thermal compound already applied; you just pull off a covering strip of tape compound and snap the heat sink assembly on to the CPU.
I don't trust those. I always scrape off all the material, wash with acetone or isopropanol, and then apply Arctic Silver.
Old 02-06-03, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The heatsinks with the compound already applied aren't near as good as Arctic Silver III (but will still work in most cases). I am using Arctic Silver III on a stock Intel heatsink and P4 [email protected] Highest temp I get is 45C.
Old 02-07-03, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

AMD says the thermal pads work better because Arctic Sliver and other pastes desintagrate orver time. You have to reapply every 6 months or so. Just a thought.
Old 02-07-03, 11:32 AM
X
Administrator

Originally posted by Mopower
AMD says the thermal pads work better because Arctic Sliver and other pastes desintagrate orver time. You have to reapply every 6 months or so. Just a thought.
I've heard both sides of that. I tend to believe that the paste does not disintegrate.

I've only used regular, junk thermal pastes in the past and never had that problem but I'll be on the lookout for it with the AS II. I guess rising temps will show that. If the temps don't rise, who cares?
Old 02-07-03, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

here is a great link for instructions:

http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_s...structions.htm

I wouldn't think the arctic silver would disentigrate. I don't have any fact to back it up, but I just notice how everyone who OCs and uses custom heatsinks uses Arctic Silver or some type of thermal grease.
Old 02-07-03, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I used Arctic Silver II for 18 months on a TBird 1333 and never saw any rising temps. I know 18 months isn't that long; I don't typically keep a CPU much longer than that anyway though.

Yeah I've heard it both ways about the thermal tape, IMO AMD should know what will work with their retail CPUs, so the thermal tape should be just fine, just might not run quite as cool. I've usually just ended up using the Arctic Silver.
Old 02-10-03, 01:15 AM

Originally posted by RoQuEr
is it worth buying anything better than the generic stuff that comes with the heatsink?

I didn't and mine runs at 44*C. How much improvement could I expect?
I didn't actually use any of the cheap stuff, but my Athlon 1700+ runs at 35C using the Arctic Silver III. I also have one fan in my case that blows directly onto my chip/mobo.

You can get enough to last you for years right here for $4.99 shipped. I would call it a worthwhile investment.

Last edited by Mister Beefhead; 02-10-03 at 01:18 AM.
Old 02-10-03, 01:48 AM
Stealth Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The last time I checked, my CPU ran at 47. I used Arctic Silver II.

I just built a new computer for a friend of mine. I bought a Cooler Master heatsink/fan and it came with a pad. His computer runs at 48.

I don't plan on using the same CPU for more than 2 years. I think running the CPU at 35 or 45 will matter much.

I've been working at computer labs since 1992. Over 60 computers at every lab (and over 200 computers at one lab). Never had a overheating problem. Not to say that it doesn't happen, but that it's not THAT BIG a deal.
Old 02-10-03, 03:02 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've heard both sides of that. I tend to believe that the paste does not disintegrate.
I used some thermal grease I bought from a Radio Shack on a K6-III 450 back in the spring of '99. When I pulled the fan off of the CPU a year later, the grease looked like new. I put the fan back on, and the CPU has been functioning fine ever since.

RD
Old 02-10-03, 03:09 AM

Originally posted by DivxGuy
I used some thermal grease I bought from a Radio Shack on a K6-III 450 back in the spring of '99. When I pulled the fan off of the CPU a year later, the grease looked like new. I put the fan back on, and the CPU has been functioning fine ever since.

RD
I believe you completely, but it's not universal. When I tried to figure out why my PIII 450 was suddenly overheating, I found that my thermal grease had dried to powder. Replaced it with some Arctic Silver and I was able to run fanless, which was neat.