Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

dvd viewing on your pc?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

dvd viewing on your pc?

Old 01-30-03, 01:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dvd viewing on your pc?

i have a very small room with a very loud 5.1 pc speaker setup and a decent 17" monitor that i sit around 6 feet from. while its a challange to cram more than 3 people in here, its usually just my girlfriend and i watching whatever impulse buys i got on the latest trip to best buy. maybe its the size of the room i have it in, and the fact it has no windows, but its pretty immersive. i was especially amped when i finally got the soundcard hooked up correctly so i got the whole 5.1 effect.

am i the only one who does this?
if anyone else does it like this, what are your pros and cons? what software do you use?

thanks!

ps- my apologies if this seems better fitted for the computer & dvd-rom forum, but i didn't see anything like this there.
Old 01-30-03, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
I do it, as i'm in an apartment for college and could never afford for a seperate tv for DVD viewing. Its a pretty decent sized room, 10x11 feet, and i'm using some cheap Logitech z-640 speakers that sound pretty good to me. And using PowerDVD. While i wish i had a bigger screen (only 17") it suits me just fine.
Old 01-30-03, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I have Power DVD as well, but really it's going to waste. I only use the pc's dvd when I want to check a "bad" disc for problems or a dvds pc only features. once in a blue moon, if the kids or wife need the theater room, I'll slip away and viddy something tasteless and disgusting.
Old 01-30-03, 01:39 AM

My freshman year I only had my computer, with my pimpin' 17 inch monitor. I was poor, but I ended up getting a simple tv card and running everything through there.

Noncomputer people really got freaked out seeing a vcr, a N64, and no TV in sight :-)

Worked pretty well though. My second semester (and on) I had an old reciever hooked up to some multiple foot tall speakers. It was the requirement to hear stuff in my particular hall. A friend (and hallmate back then) once got a call from an office below for rattling their windows so much the worker thought they'd shatter.

Nowadays - finishing up now, with a 27' and a low-end but decent home theater setup, dvds never really hit my PC.
Old 01-30-03, 01:52 AM

i'm pretty low-income right now, i just moved and gave away things i couldn't move (tv, stereo). i never had pc speakers or a dvd-rom until i moved here, i used the ole ps2 for dvd dutys. but since getting the pc speakers (the same as fumanstan, logitech z-640's, so cheap!) and a lite-on dvd-rom, this is all i use. dvds look so much better on my computer monitor than my old tv. and thanks to the speakers, it sounds way better. definately the choice poor mans dvd rig. watching my old dvds is like watching new ones!

i had both powerdvd and windvd, but since i have an nvidia card and was looking at thier website, i tried out thier new nvdvd software, which blows the others away as far as configuring sound and video is concerned. 14-day demoware, but kazaa curiousity is rewarding. ;-)
Old 01-30-03, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
malkmuz,

I've been playing with WinDVD 4.5 Platinum. You think nVidia's DVD software is better? I haven't tried it yet.

What I love about WinDVD 4.5, is you can have the movie playing as your Desktop, so your desktop is a living movie. Kinda cool, especially when I'm doing other projects on the computer.
Old 01-30-03, 02:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I do it too, in my not-too-small room, with a 19" monitor and 5.1 speaker set up. To tell you the truth, watching DVDs in PC is better than watching DVDs on conventional TV. Only big budgeted HT system can beat PC-DVD.
Old 01-30-03, 12:46 PM

dvd polizei:

my copy of windvd that came with my video card is older, 3.1. i didn't think to download newer versions, the nvidia player helped me figure out what was wrong with my speaker setup and i've been loyal ever since!

what i really want is one of those 23" apple cinema displays to watch movies on. those are beautiful, and i remember reading there was a converter to allow pc's to use them too. but if i were to shell out $3000+ on a display, it would be a nice tv.
Old 01-30-03, 04:59 PM

That is my favorite way to watch a movie. I have a nice 36" TV and dvd player but I prefer to watch them on my pc with 21" monitor and Monsoon 5.1 speakers.

I sit at normal pc viewing distance and the movies are just about correct sized. Of course the Sony widescreen monitor for 2 grand would really look great (dream on).

If you do not have a sound system for your pc movie watching try the Monsoon 5.1 flat panel set. They are fantastic. They sound good enough for me and I am used to listening to 3.1 magnaplaners with hybrid tube amps.

I watch all my dvd movies and concerts this way.
Old 01-30-03, 05:36 PM

i always felt watching dvds on my flatscreen 19" monitor and klipsch 4.1 promedia speakers was a weird yet very rewarding experience....now i see that i'm not the only one.
Old 01-31-03, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Teisco

I sit at normal pc viewing distance and the movies are just about correct sized. Of course the Sony widescreen monitor for 2 grand would really look great (dream on).
I dream for those monitors too... anamorphic DVDs would looks fantastic on those monitor.
Old 01-31-03, 01:27 PM

one of the biggest advantages to dvd-roms that i forgot to mention was the abundance of firmware updates to make your player reigon-free. eraserhead, here i come!
Old 01-31-03, 02:11 PM

Admin X posted a link awhile back to a picture and info on the Sony wide screen monitor and I fell in love at first site. To a pc movie watcher this monitor would be heaven. Let me see, what can I sell? The dogs or the wife!
Old 01-31-03, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm in my late 20's and doing the univ of phoenix online thing. I like to watch dvd's on my pc while doing school work and papers.