Reload this Page >

did I kill my computer?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

did I kill my computer?

Old 01-27-03, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
did I kill my computer?

I am running windows XP Pro, on a abit kt7a mobo, with a 1.4GHz thunderbird.

Well, I figured that while I was waiting for a reply to my last post I would go ahead and add all the new stuff that I bought for my computer. It seems that while in the process of adding stuff I did somthing that was really bad and now my computer will not start up.

This is what I did, I added a new hard drive, put in a Ultra ata/133 pci card (so I could add the hard drive as I had two already) installed a new case fan, replaced the old 100/133 cables with new ones that are rounded so that I could get better air flow through my case also, and added a cooler for my hard drive that was made by antec.

While doing the cooler install I took off my processor so I could add a thermo temp thing so I could see how hot the processor was running. I put more thurmo goo on the chip where I was suppost to, and then placed it back into the mobo.

I pluged the power cable back in, and all that happened was the fans turned on! no beep, no little bar on the monitor.. nothing. Argh!

I just went out and bought a new power supply (440 watts) thinking that I might have killed the old one (300 watts) by adding so many new things that had to run on it and when I power it up I still get nothing.

Shouldn't I atleast be able to get into the bios screen? Heck, my monitor light is yellow, saying that there is not even a connection to it. I reseated everything and that did not help. Even my keyboard lights do not come on.

I guess what I am asking is this... How can I go about checking stuff to see what the problem with my computer is? Is there a chance that I killed the processor and that is why nothing is working? I have taken out all the things that I added so that it is running on everything that it was working with before, including the cables.
Old 01-28-03, 12:05 AM
Stealth Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't think you killed the computer. Something is shorting.

1. Re-seat the video card. Make sure that it's snug.
2. Re-seat the RAM. Make sure they are snug.

One of these two is usually the culprit.
Old 01-28-03, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by namja
I don't think you killed the computer. Something is shorting.

1. Re-seat the video card. Make sure that it's snug.
2. Re-seat the RAM. Make sure they are snug.

One of these two is usually the culprit.
I agree. I assume you also plugged in the cpu fan power cable into the MB
Old 01-28-03, 12:49 PM

yup.. did all that.. I have it back up and running now... on a 700 thunderbird. It seems I must have killed the processor or somthing because I tested allmy stuff out on a old case that just had a mobo and processor..

Did the ram and vidoe card.. made it into the bios no problem.. Then put that 700 chip into my pc with just the same things that I used on the old pc, and it went into the bios. I now have the whole thing up and running using that old 700 thunderbird chip.

I am guessing that I killed the 1.4 thunderbird.
Old 01-28-03, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

that sucks. i've heard of the amd's doing that after removing the heatsink and putting it back on a few times. especially if the heatsink has a really strong retaining mechanism.

crankky.
Old 01-29-03, 03:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Is the core cracked?

If you bought a retail boxed cpu you should try to get an RMA and exchange from AMD. They might refuse if the core looks like it was damaged due to improper installation of the HS so as long as the core is not obviously damaged it might fly.

If you bought an OEM cpu you have a year warranty so you could try to get an exchange also.
Old 01-29-03, 08:03 AM

It is a retail box chip, just that I do not know where the box for it is now. I have like every other box that I got when I put this thing togeather but that one it seems. Argh! That would have been the best thing that could have happened to me at this point.

As far as I can see there is nothing wrong visibly with the chip, no burn marks that I can see, and no cracks. If you were to just look at it you would think that the chip is fine.
Old 01-29-03, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I would try putting it in again and then clearing the cmos. look through your mobo manual on how to do it for your particular mobo. or google search on it.... I've had to do it before when switching cpus and new one doesn't get detected right away, have to move my jumper and its all good. worth a shot before RMA anyway...
Old 01-29-03, 08:36 AM

I already tried to do the cmos clear in hopes of getting it to see the chip. no go.
Old 01-29-03, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

thats NOT good news R.I.P. mr. tbird...