Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Anybody want to help diagnose this problem?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-26-03, 07:28 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The other day I came home and my computer would not power up. After trying several things I concluded that it was the power supply. So, wanting a newer case anyway I bought an Antec case with a 400 watt supply. I am no computer wiz but I built the current machine. So I figured I could transfer everything over to the new case with no problem.

After doing so I get nothing on the screen. The light on the motherboard comes on but I get nothing on the monitor. I have no idea how to approach troubleshooting this. Even it it is a peripheral that is broken wouldn't the bios register on the monitor. Also, I don't think the hard driive is spinning.
Could this have been some sort of surge that blew up my system?? If so I have a APC surge strip but it did not trip.

My hardware is as follows:

ASUS A7V
Anthlon 900mhz
ATI rage pro video
CDROM
CD-rw
Quantum ata66 30gb

Any help would be appreciated. I am at wits end.
Old 01-26-03, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

el_jer

strip out every component except the bare minimum to POST (the BIOS screen you need to see)

This is what you need

1. motherboard + processor
2. power supply
3. ram
4. video card
5. monitor

If you have anything other than these 5 items in the system, TAKE THEM OUT and see if you can post.

If it POSTs great, add your other pieces back in one at a time until it fails. If it fails you have found your bad piece.

If it still won't POST:

If you have more than one stick of ram, try swapping (you should only have one in at a time)

If you have a second video card, try swapping.

Or if you have a friend that will let you play around with his machine, put your ram and video card in his to see if it works.

If you have a hardware BIOS reset on that motherboard, throw it (usually a jumper, RTM)

After all that, if you are still SOL it may be the processor or the motherboard (I am going to assume your new antec power supply is good, but if you can test it to be certain do it, use a voltmeter)

That will give you a start anyway.
Old 01-26-03, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
disconnect everything but the video card, cpu and memory
that should at least get it to POST. if that works reconnect any pci cards one at a time. if it still POSTs for each of those then reconnect your drives one at a time. if you don't want it hanging and giving an error about no OS on every boot when your're testing it make the floppy drive the first thing you reconnect and have a boot floppy in it, although booting to a no os found message shouldn't hurt anything
Old 01-26-03, 09:29 PM

Thanks for the advice. I will try this "Barebones" approach.
Old 01-27-03, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
looks like I should have refreshed before posting
Old 01-28-03, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by 4KRG
If you have a hardware BIOS reset on that motherboard, throw it (usually a jumper, RTM)
thats where I would start. though with my a7v-133 I have to manually short out the bios by connecting 2 points on my mobo with a flathead screwdriver. Maybe you have a 266 or 333 with a jumper for convenience... Next bet would be bad ram. then as was stated, bad cpu or mobo
Old 01-28-03, 12:10 PM

Tried to replace the videocard on the barebones sytem. Still nothing. I have 3 modules of ram. I can try to swap each one in. My ASUS is a 133. Can you explain how to reset the bios with the screwdriver.
Old 01-28-03, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The worst design feature on the A7V is the "Clear CMOS" jumper. The reason it is so bad, is that there is no jumper! There are just two solder joints on the board, and you need to find a U-shaped piece of metal which you can use to short out those two solder joints. It's not only a pain, it is difficult and downright irritating. Overclockers want an easy and quick method of clearing the CMOS, if necessary, and don't want to hunt around for a bent piece of metal (I used tweezers).

from here http://www.kickassgear.com/Reviews/AsusA7V.htm

looking around for a bit better pic or description...
Old 01-28-03, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

here we go... http://www.vicstech.com/en/rd2/use1.shtml scroll down to "Reset FSB on motherboards without CMOS clearing jumper" in the pic there are 2 little silver heads. you have to connect those 2 heads to clear the CMOS....
Old 01-28-03, 04:58 PM

As I am happily going to try this. What is it I am trying to accomplish. And why could this solve my problem. Thanks for the link.
Old 01-28-03, 09:26 PM

i love it...as if clearin cmos will allow it to post...if you aren't getting any beeps whatsoever, then the BIOS and CMOS aren't this issue, don't get me wrong it doesn't hurt to clear it...but pointless in this instance....start by doing the extreme basic....like this...

take out everything. yes everything, no ram, no hd, no video, no nothing take out the cpu... boot it...nothing should happen...cute huh!

add the processor & HSF(heatsink fan). boot it...IT should yell at you!...it should beep at you it hates you because you have nothing else. BEEP!! if no beeps....reseat the processor again...push it in FIRMLY! if still no beeps on boot. youre done it's over you soved it....it's the MBD or Processor. if it does beep. then....

add the RAM just one stick....boot it..THE BEEPS SHOULD CHANGE!!! you have no video is what it's complain about. repeat this process x3 one for each stick of ram. if the beeps for the memory are all the same then the sticks should be good. if any are different...it's typically a bad stick.

add just the good memory. boot it again, and again No Video beeps!...it's yelling at you because you have no video. usually 3 short beeps.

now add the video card....ONE beep. it should POST. you may get a second beep because your BIOS is complaining you have no keyboard.

connect keyboard & monitor....boot and you should boot with a post and BIOS screen. "missing OS" error should happen. You got no HD...shutdown add the rest of your stuff. HD, mouse, Sound, etc. and boot it shoudl boot normally.

at any point this stuff doesn't happen then we can diagnose the problem. Let us know the results.
Old 01-28-03, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by TheSilverSurfer
i love it...as if clearin cmos will allow it to post...
Yes it can. Just because you have never seen it does not mean it it won't work. I have seen a BIOS recognize the processor incorrectly, in this case no beeps, no nothing, and a clear reset it, the processor detected properly and all was well.

I love people that know it all
Old 01-28-03, 09:49 PM

wish i could have been there for that....4 yrs tech support. 2 yrs building....i've never seen that happen. wouldn't supprise me i guess.. I've definetly seen some strange stuff happen.

funky mbd though...no clear cmos? have to short it with metal....what were they thinking when they designed that he wondered?
Old 01-28-03, 09:53 PM

Originally posted by 4KRG
Yes it can. Just because you have never seen it does not mean it it won't work. I have seen a BIOS recognize the processor incorrectly, in this case no beeps, no nothing, and a clear reset it, the processor detected properly and all was well.

I love people that know it all
granted something just occured to me....how do you know the BIOS was recognizing the processor incorrectly? You just stated you got nothing? stating it recognized it incorrectly means you saw the BIOS report it incorrectly which means it posted. clearing the cmos may have corrected that issue.

so what really happened?
Old 01-29-03, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by TheSilverSurfer
i love it...as if clearin cmos will allow it to post...if you aren't getting any beeps whatsoever, then the BIOS and CMOS aren't this issue
with all due respect, you are wrong here. Each and every time I have had to clear my cmos on both my a7v and my kx7, I get no beeps whatsoever. Set your cpu out of range in your BIOS and reboot. What happens?? beep?? I never heard no beep? only mobo lights up, fans spin up but absolutely nothing on monitor. Clear out CMOS and reboot and voila, back into POST again...
Old 01-29-03, 07:25 PM

well cool then....
Old 01-29-03, 10:17 PM

Cleared CMOS, booted with cpu only. No beeps nada.

I give up. Plan B is a new mobo and chip. Anyone care to recommend a good combo. My thoughts were this: A good upgradeable board and a cheaper processor. I was considering the ASUS A7N8X Deluxe with a 1700 thoroughbred proc. I would overclock it immediately. Since I have never done this I could use some advice.

Sorry, I just hijacked my own thread
Old 01-30-03, 05:23 AM

don't suppose you did the steps I was recommending?

if nothing after boot with cpu only then it's one of two or both.
mbd or cpu. you'd have to test each in a known to work setting to find out which or just go P4 and an intel or msi board and quit messing with AMD till they cool that sucker down...

no real need for overclocking these days anyways. sure you can do it and reap a little benifit but really....is the time, energy, knowledge worth it? not these days. kinda pointless really. think i overclock? i've had my 1.3 for 2 yrs now and never an issue, and still nothing requires more. only upgrade i did recently is from geforce 2 ultra to geforce 4 TI4400. next will be the RAM from 256mb to 2gigs i think, then the cpu to a 2 ghz...i'll have it for another 3 yrs probably before i even consider needing another one.

well with whatever you decide....good luck!

Last edited by TheSilverSurfer; 01-30-03 at 05:31 AM.