Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

free dvd sql database?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

free dvd sql database?

Old 01-24-03, 08:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
free dvd sql database?

has anyone heard of any free sql databases of dvd information?

basically what I am looking for is a database of dvd titles and their stats to be able to have in a database and made available through a website. The problem is getting the information.

While it would be simple to design and setup a database to hold the information, you would then have to go in and enter each dvds information one by one. Ugh. Even I don't have the patience to do that for only the 400 dvds I own, let alone the thousands I don't own.

So I am wondering if there is anywhere that gives away a populated database for people to use.
Old 01-24-03, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.dvdprofiler.com I'm sure that somebody else will have a better idea.
Old 01-24-03, 09:22 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
How do you get the data out of the database though?

I'm attaching to DVD Profiler's data files with an ODBC driver but it wants a password. Anyone know the password?
Old 01-24-03, 09:36 PM

Speaking from experience, a fully populated (or even partially populated) DVD database is a pretty hot commodity. Those that have them would be very hesitant to "give" them away for free and would probably charge a premium price. When I was doing my website, I had title, studio, release date, screen format, sound format, genre, running time, year of release, actors lists, special feature lists and a few other fields. I would spend about 3 or 4 hours entereing 50-75 titles.

Usually, those that you can download are watered down databases, eliminated a lot of the information that you would actually want (actors lists, special features, etc.). I don't have any suggestions other than to say good luck and let me know if you find one

While DVD Profiler is a great database, I think what he's looking for is a way to populate a database of his own, and I'm not sure you can accomplish this with DVD profiler (at least for every title in their database).

Jeff

Last edited by The DVD List; 01-24-03 at 09:38 PM.
Old 01-24-03, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have the DVD profiler software. It is free, you basically just type in the title of the movie and the database will have it and you will download the add. info and it will be added to your list. The only thing you'd have to pay for is the prenium website service to host your list but you still can have your list online you just have to put up with a banner. I've found DVD Profiler to be easy, but the beef I got with it is that it won't add certain titles like the new Ocean's 11 and The Godfather Saga, despite my downloads for updates.

I guess another one to think about is http://www.dvdtracker.com Was thinking about looking into this.

X, I think the password is the registration key that DVD Profiler will have emailed you. Not sure about that though.
Old 01-24-03, 11:42 PM
X
Administrator

Actually, what I'm looking for is the password to the database of my DVDs that I entered, not DVD Profiler's registrations key or anything like that. I know what they're doing, 'cause I've protected my databases that way too.

I just started with DVD Profiler and I'm thinking I may not continue because I'll end up with a large database that I can't backup or convert into being able to be used with any other application. Who needs that? I'm the one doing the entering. I want access to the info I've entered. I don't care about their "proprietary" data on DVDs.
Old 01-25-03, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

X, I did some more playing around with the DP app and found that I can export the list (as in CVS) and it will be an excel file and you will already have all the info, such as ratings, year made, director, region, priduction company. Only thing is I can't get it to have the DVD scans pics in there too. Also, if you've worked it out to be set on the internet (You'll need an Alias). You could save the web page as a web document and it will be in a HTML code which I think will be able to transfer it to another website (of course, with some editing). Still not sure what you guys mean.
Old 01-25-03, 12:23 AM
X
Administrator

Originally posted by Ranger
X, I did some more playing around with the DP app and found that I can export the list (as in CVS) and it will be an excel file and you will already have all the info, such as ratings, year made, director, region, priduction company.

Shows how I look at a software product, being a software developer. I didn't even look at their export functionality, I immediately looked at how I could hook into their database, found the ODBC connector, tried to import it into Access...

Thanks for pointing that out!
Old 01-25-03, 12:43 AM

"The DVD List" is talking about exactly what I want to do, and I am guessing that he is right in figuring that anyone who actually took the time to enter all that dvd data will not want to just give it away. But that just doesn't make sense to me.

This is the kind of information that lots of people could benefit from and really should be openly available to anyone who wants it. All in all its not that much data. What I propose is some kind of open source project to setup a database to maintain this data and make it freely available to people. And of course to make the data entry easy we would allow people to enter in the data. As I understand it, this is how cddb works.

I would play with dvdprofiler, but I use linux and it won't even run under windows emulation for me. dvdtracker is similar to what I propose, but its a subscription service and you don't get access to their database.

Seems to me that we have this great wide internet now, and the means to share so much data, but now everyone is just trying to whore the data and try and make money off of it. Data should be free. I would even like to see a movie database as extensive as IMDB being offered for free.

Actually, rather than cddb I was refering to freedb. Anyone interested can checkout freedb.org and notice that they offer snapshots of the database to be downloaded for free.

Last edited by agilliland; 01-25-03 at 12:47 AM.