Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

DVD-ROM upgrade

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

DVD-ROM upgrade

Old 12-31-02, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DVD-ROM upgrade

I am thinking about about installing a DVD-ROM on my computer. I purchased my computer 2 years ago. Do you know if I have to have anything already installed on my computer to play movies, like a certain video card? If so, do you know how I can find out if my computer has it or not?
Old 12-31-02, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What kind of computer do you have?
In windows XP I believe there is a build in player. If you don't have xp down load a trial version of powerdvd.
Old 12-31-02, 05:13 PM

I justed upgraded from Windows 98 2nd Edition to Windows ME on a Compaq computer.
Old 12-31-02, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
The DVD ROM Faqs may have some of your answers. Overall, what you need is a 500+ mhz CPU, 128 ram, 16+ mb ram Video card, DVD ROM, and a real software player like powerdvd or powerdvd. Most DVD Roms will come bundled with a software player. The LiteOn DVD ROM at newegg is like $40 with powerDVD XP. If your PC is not fast enough, then you'll need a hardware decoder card like the Hollywood +, but you might as well upgrade your PC's hardware.
Old 12-31-02, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Most video cards today feature MPEG-2 decoding. Software DVD players like WinDVD can be had for around $10 on Pricewatch.com. And, of course, you'll need a DVD-ROM drive.

FYI I use a PIII-800 with an ATI Radeon LE and WinDVD with my widescreen. IMO image quality is superior to my Panasonic RP-91 set-top player.

RD
Old 12-31-02, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by DivxGuy
Most video cards today feature MPEG-2 decoding. Software DVD players like WinDVD can be had for around $10 on Pricewatch.com. And, of course, you'll need a DVD-ROM drive.

FYI I use a PIII-800 with an ATI Radeon LE and WinDVD with my widescreen. IMO image quality is superior to my Panasonic RP-91 set-top player.

RD
Come on DivxGuy,

I have the PR91K and there is no way your dvd-rom drives blows away it. That is if you have an HDTV or a EDTV(480P). If you just have a analog TV yes I can see that then.
Old 12-31-02, 09:52 PM
X
Administrator

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts
I don't have an RP-91 but I'd be willing to bet my 800MHz P3 and ATI 7500 beat it on an RPTV any day. BTW, the DVD-ROM drive is incidental to the whole thing -- it either works or it doesn't.
Old 01-01-03, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by X
I don't have an RP-91 but I'd be willing to bet my 800MHz P3 and ATI 7500 beat it on an RPTV any day. BTW, the DVD-ROM drive is incidental to the whole thing -- it either works or it doesn't.
Do you have an HDTV? If you don't how can you say this? When your running at 480P the picture looks clean, very clean. When I put on HDNET running in 1080i (channel 199 on DirecTV) it looks like your looking through a picture. Same way when your watching a DVD in 480P. What I think you guys are saying (correct me if I'm wrong) the picture looks great on your monitor? That would be true if you don't have an HDTV becaue the resolution is higher on a monitor vs. an analog TV. Plus your sitting only about 3-4(?) fee back. Just my thoughts.
Old 01-01-03, 11:03 PM
X
Administrator

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts
I have a Pioneer 510HD and connect to my HTPC via VGA. I'd say the Pioneer qualifies as an HDTV. I never watch movies on a computer monitor.
Old 01-02-03, 09:14 AM

Originally posted by TheKobra
Come on DivxGuy,

I have the PR91K and there is no way your dvd-rom drives blows away it. That is if you have an HDTV or a EDTV(480P). If you just have a analog TV yes I can see that then.
Actually there is a very good reason why many people with HDTV displays and projection systems build home theater pcs. With the right (free) software they can equal if not beat many of the best line doublers on the market.

Making a dvd look very good is even easier as most software players handle up conversion to higher resolutions (much higher then HDTV resolutions) flawlessly. If you search the web you will find many people who have switched from very high end gear to htpc because they feel the quality is that much better.