Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Internet Explorer window size question

Old 09-02-02, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
Internet Explorer window size question

how can I get it to always open at the same size?
I have my IE windows take up most but not all of the screen. It used to remember the size and when I would open new windows they woukld be the same size. Now after reinstalling windows (98se) the first window I open is the size I set, but when I hit ctrl-n the new one is small. If I drag it to the size I want and close that new window the rest of the new windows open at the size and position of the new one I closed. After I close all IE windows and reopen one later to start surfing the net again I have to go through the resizing process again.
Any ideas?
Old 09-02-02, 03:57 PM
X
Administrator

Generally the way to do this is open IE, size the window to the size you want. If you want fullscreen, don't use the maximize control box, use the sizable one and stretch the sides to all four extremes of the screen. The important thing here is to not use maximize at all during this process.

Then open a second (child) window. Do the same thing with it. Then close all windows, restart IE and it should give you the same sizes you specified.

If you are doing this on a company computer it is possible that they have set a policy that won't let this work after your next login.
Old 09-02-02, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
home computer. oddly enough, the computer I usually use at work (it's first come first serve seating) keeps the settings and it's also win98 and I think the version of IE that comes with 98