Reload this Page >

Re: PC (un) Friendly

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 07-11-02, 08:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

i currently have a samsung SD-616F dvd-rom drive (WinXP), but am having problems watching PC friendly dics (e.g. Men in Black, The Matrix). They run fine on a normal player. The drive is region free through firmware flash, though it still cant play the dics either way.

If you are able to run those dics (PC friendly type), please post the drive brand and type you are using.

Thanks.
Old 07-11-02, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If you got another DVD-ROM software program like WinDVD or PowerDVD, have you tried using those? PC-Friendly/Interactual is a living hell of a program.
Old 07-11-02, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I was reading somewhere that PC Friendly is actually a spyware program. It reports back to a main server what you're watching, styles/genres, all kinds of information. I'm not sure if they've updated the program so it asks you whether you want to opt in or not, but the early versions of the program just installed itself without asking and sends all your info back to PC Friendly's servers.
Old 07-11-02, 02:43 PM

LBPound-Ya ive tried WinDVD, PowerDVD, as well as PC friendly and the earlier Interactual programs. I feel its the Samsung drive itself.

Lampei- About that being spyware, since it doesnt work ive uninstalled it anyways
Old 07-11-02, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This may be overly obvious, but have you tried opening the programs and just pressing Play once you've inserted the discs? The PC-Friendly discs will typically try to install software onto your computer upon being inserted, rather than just loading the DVD programs and playing. Also, have you checked for scratches on the discs? Doubtful and probably obvious, but worth a check.
Old 07-12-02, 11:39 AM

When i insert the discs, provided the PC friendly software is already installed, if Windvd is on autoplay it will open and try to play the disc. However, im just left with a black blank screen, even though the player is "playing", as in the play option is checked. Powerdvd goes on step better and gives me an unsupported format message error. With PC friendly, the message please insert a dvd-video in your dvd-rom is displayed, but which is whats spinning in the thing anyhow!

It seems only those discs with PC friendly content the drive will take no part of...
Old 07-12-02, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The blank screen sounds like it might have something to do with a video card now. But why it would only be affecting PCFriendly-"enhanced" discs boggles one's mind.
Old 07-20-02, 01:14 PM

recap: anyone having NO trouble with PC friendly discs playing on your dvd-rom, please post the brand and spec of the dvd drive
Old 07-20-02, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by ktk_rap
recap: anyone having NO trouble with PC friendly discs playing on your dvd-rom, please post the brand and spec of the dvd drive
As far as I know, that's going to include the vast majority of people using DVD drives. I'm running a Matshita (Panasonic) 6x drive and I've never had any trouble with PC Friendly. I always just hit cancel and play the movie.
Old 07-23-02, 07:34 AM

focker, i gather your drive would be RPC-1? Seems that may be another variable, although mine is RPC-2 but flashed the firmware for region free.
Old 07-23-02, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by ktk_rap
focker, i gather your drive would be RPC-1? Seems that may be another variable, although mine is RPC-2 but flashed the firmware for region free.
My drive is R1, but it's easily switchable.