Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Help me spend my first paycheck (video card and lcd dvi help/advice needed)

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 07-03-02, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I know there are threads like this every day, but now it's my turn! I searched the web and checked out other forum sites but i realized that though the computer folk here are a small group, they are the only one's i trust (from experience). Ok, now that the butt kissing is done... Here's the deal, I'm going to buy a video card to replace my much outdated Geforce2 MX. I have decided to get the Geforce4 Ti 4200. Now the question is which one? 64 mb vs. 128 mb. Good brand vs. lesser brand? Well, I basically narrowed it down to three choices.

1. Abit GF4 Ti4200 64MB DDR Video Card w/TV-Out & DVI Retail
link which sells for $147.00

2. AOPEN GEFORCE 4 TI 4200/TV-OUT/128M DDR
link which sells for $166.00

3. GAINWARD/CARDEXPERT GeForce 4 Ti 4200, 4ns, 128MB DDR, Power Pack Golden Sample link which sells for $193.00

The first choice is a really powerful card but 64 mb, the second is a 128 mb card with all the features i want (VIVO, DVI, TV-out) but at a discount price due to name, and the third one is the name brand powerhouse. Remember, price is an option but not a huge one. Just want the best value for my money.

Ok, moving on, I am buying a 17 inch LCD monitor with DVI. It is a Hyundai and sells for $525 (great deal for a great monitor). link It has DVI but it doesn't come with the DVI cable.

So if I get one of the above mentioned cards, where can I buy the cable and what kind do i need? Please help me waste my money and learn a little bit more than I do!

Old 07-03-02, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Chaintech Geforce4 4200 "GT20" 64MB W/TV-Out and DVI ports Retail
at newegg for $142 shipped(hey its $5 ) if you want cheap

However I would get this one

http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=...t=521&scat=522

$179 at best buy. plus a $10 gift card mail in rebate.

I would get the 128 MB card if possible.
retail boxed and a good deal.
Old 07-03-02, 03:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Although the Chaintech looks damn_cool with its gold plating and everything, i heard that its software package (or lack thereof), makes its features run not very smoothly. As for the Visiontech at Best Buy, I may stop by tomorrow and try to get in on it but most Best Buy's have been sold out of this card for a while now due to Fatwallet and Anandtech.
Old 07-03-02, 10:24 AM

Just my $.02, but I'd go with the 128 MB card. The UT 2003 graphics engine (which will be in the next gen of Unreal games) is about to be unveiled. It's going to be b-a-a-a-d from early indications, but it's going to be a resource hog.
Old 07-03-02, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ok, I think I will go with the 128 as its better in the long run. So which one? Afterwork I'll stop by Best Buy to see if I can get the Visiontech one, but if that one's out, which one should i get? I want DVI, VIVO, etc. The Aopen is an option but there's dozens of models which seem to be the same yet none are coming out the clear cut winner.

Old 07-03-02, 05:00 PM
BT
DVD Talk Special Edition

Have you read all the reviews that are out there on the different models? From what I've read the basic designs are all the same since almost all of them use the nVidia reference boards for their cards.

I'd go with the Aopen since the price is right and the hardware is going to be basically the same as anything else that's out there. That's a mighty nice card too...

-BT
Old 07-03-02, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

actually, i just got my first pay check from my new job today

and, i've already spent all of it on a s30 and a 256mb cf.
Old 07-03-02, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ok. I went to Best Buy and got the LAST geforce4 4200 they had. whoo hoo! I just need to install it, although i may wait until next week to do it because i'm going back up to Chicago for the long weekend (we got friday off!). So lets see.. I bought more ram (256 mb) yesterday, the video card today, and if I buy the lcd monitor tomorrow, it will be a grand total of ~$800 spent in 3 days. whew!