Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Best Video Editing Software for MAC's?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 06-30-02, 04:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want a really good piece of software that will let me put my own special effects in
What are the best packages that you would recommend?
I know IMovie is good but it only does the basics.
Cheers for any info
Old 06-30-02, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
If you need something more powerful than iMovie, then I would suggest either Final Cut Pro 3.0 or Adobe After Effects 5.5
Old 07-01-02, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your choices are:

1) Adobe Premiere - hasn't been updated in ages, but is a fairly solid, full function editor. Very little compositing features, as they are all in Adobe After Effects. Only works in OS 9 - $600

2) Apple Final Cut Pro - a very powerful, full function editor with some basic compositing features. Can use some After Effects filters. Has some real time effects (preview only) depending on your setup. Runs in both OS 9 and OS X - $999

3) Avid Express DV 3.5 - just released for OS X. It's avid, what else can I say? It's the most recognized name in video editing, and it's as powerful as you'd expect for $1700. Again, it just came out, so only time will tell if it can take back the business they've lost to FCP over the last few years.

For special effects, compositing, overlays, etc, you'll need Adobe After Effects. I'm unfamiliar with this product, other than knowing it's the industry standard for this sort of thing. $600 for the basic version, $2000 for the production bundle, which you probably won't need.

I have final cut pro, and it's a great program, but I never had problems with Premiere, other than the fact they basically stopped updating it. Even the PC version is ancient.
Old 07-01-02, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Actually Adobe Premiere was updated not long ago on the PC, but I wish Apple would make Final Cut Pro for the PC. More than likely it's not going to happen. My friend is a professional video and film editor and he uses Final Cut Pro and Adobe After Effects. He keeps trying to get me to buy a Mac, but I don't edit video as much as he does (It's just a hobby for me). I asked him about Avid Express DV since it's out for the PC and he shunned it. He said that if it's not Avid Composer that it's not Avid. He's a freelance editor and he says most shops have either Avid Composer or Final Cut Pro. I think he's just being elitest, but he does have a point. Well, the point is if you want to use what the professionals use then get Final Cut Pro and After Effects. I use Adobe Premiere and After Effects on the PC, but hey I'm just a luddite.
Old 07-01-02, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I doubt FCP is ever made for the PC, since Apple's newest hobby seems to be buying video/audio/film software companies and discontinuing the PC versions.

Avid made a few really low end consumer products a few years ago, like Avid Cinema. That's probably why he's got a bad taste for anything less than Composer. Also, A lot of Avid guys have sour grapes because this newer stuff is just as nice as Composer at less than 10% of the price of their rigs. Actually, that would probably tork me off too.
Old 07-02-02, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Jason
I have final cut pro, and it's a great program, but I never had problems with Premiere, other than the fact they basically stopped updating it. Even the PC version is ancient.
I used to use Premiere from version 4.0 to 5.1, and I always had problems with it. It's just garbage, IMO. I've never had a use for it since switching to Final Cut Pro. FCP is so much nicer.
Old 07-08-02, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What kind of special effects can you do in Final Cut Pro or other softwares?

I know this is for the PC, but how does Pinnacle's Studio DV or Studio DV 7 stack up to Final Cut Pro and the others? Thanks in advance.
Old 07-08-02, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by PacMan2006
What kind of special effects can you do in Final Cut Pro or other softwares?
I don't do much compositing, so I really can't say. You should check the forums at http://www.2-pop.com They cover every aspect of FCP there.

I know this is for the PC, but how does Pinnacle's Studio DV or Studio DV 7 stack up to Final Cut Pro and the others? Thanks in advance.
Not even close. These are more like iMovie.