Reload this Page >

CD-RW drive not working

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

CD-RW drive not working

Old 06-19-02, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CD-RW drive not working

I'm about to throw my computer out the window!

My Lite-On 24x burner isn't working. I can't think of anything I changed on it to cause it not to work (except possibly turning on DMA on the IDE channels). The drive doesn't show up in device manager. The drive won't open with the front button. The indicator light is always a constant green as soon as the computer turns on.

win2k/dual celeron [email protected]/256MB RAM

Any ideas? I really don't want to buy another drive.
Old 06-20-02, 09:52 AM

In the past I've found that when a cd-rw quit working after turning on dma mode, but worked with dma mode off it was usually another device on the IDE cable that was defective.

If you try to detect new hardware and the cd-rw is detected, then it's most likely another device that's causing the problem.

Try to disable dma mode on the IDE channels. Try swapping deviced in and out to see if the problem continues. If you can you should also try the cd-rw in another computer.
Old 06-20-02, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The CD-RW drive is the only device on the ATA33 IDE channels. My hard drives are on the built-in ATA66 controller.

I've tried removing the drive and putting it back in after a boot up without it but it didn't help.

What leads me to belive the drive is faulty is the non-working door. With just power and no IDE cable hooked up to it, the drive should still open and close right?

I'll try turning off DMA and see if that fixes things though. Thanks for your help.
Old 06-20-02, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

hmmm... you think it can be jammed? if it is there should be a hole made for a pin to poke through. if not, then get a plexwriter!!!! thats what i have and i've been happy since.
Old 06-20-02, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nope, not jammed. I have already opened the door with the pin hole method.
Old 06-20-02, 11:16 AM

hmm ic
roughly do you know out of how many cds you've made, how many of those have burned incorrectly?

how old is ur cdr-w?
Old 06-20-02, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's about 9months old or so. I got it a couple months after 24x burners had been out.

I don't think I've ever made a bad cd. Had a large batch go bad on me a few weeks ago, but that was the crappy compUSA media and not the drive.

Guess I'll be shopping for a new drive soon since I'm pretty sure I don't have any of the warrenty stuff anymore.
Old 06-20-02, 04:27 PM

hmmm actually im not sure how long of a waranty you have but check into that. if it qual's for a swap, then that will do...
Old 06-20-02, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What do you need for a warranty claim? I know I don't have the reciept and I'm 90% sure I don't have the UPC or a packing slip. Heck, I can't even remember where I bought it from. I think it was some Yahoo online shop lol.

I don't think I've ever had a piece of electronic equipment break on me my entire life and this month my TV, my DVD player, a network hub, and my CDRW drive all broke. The end is near! The end is near!
----------------------
Was browsing their troubleshooting guide and found this:

Flash Memory Damage
If LED light stays on during computer "boot sequence", try download last F/W (Firmware) and update flash memory.

I have no idea how that happened since I've never even tried flashing a CD drive's firmware.

Last edited by asabase; 06-20-02 at 06:02 PM.
Old 06-20-02, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I found out where I bought it from and they have been bought out by another company that doesn't sell cd drives so warranty is out of the question unless I go directly to the factory but their website discourages it.

It's almost not worth the touble. I can get a new Cendyne from Office Max for $30 after rebate.
Old 06-21-02, 10:45 AM
Banned

It was a crappy Philips CD-RW that got me to splurge and get a Plextor, and I love it. I know they can be pricy but they are worth it.