Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Need some purchasing advice

Old 06-19-02, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Need some purchasing advice

I was toying around with the idea of getting a new computer since my current one desperatly needs to be upgraded.

I was looking at desktops, specifically with a DVD burner, but I'm not sure which to get. Also do these desktops usually come with a capture device?

If anyone can point me in the right direction I would most appreciate it.
Old 06-19-02, 03:40 PM

wow... dvd burner= $$$. as of right now, im not too sure if places like dell has such an upgrade option when purchasing a new computer. i think you best bet is to put together a new comp by gathering parts instead of buying the whole thing in a package. it will save you some cash here and there if ur strapped down like me...
Old 06-19-02, 05:07 PM

Originally posted by Mole177
wow... dvd burner= $$$. as of right now, im not too sure if places like dell has such an upgrade option when purchasing a new computer. i think you best bet is to put together a new comp by gathering parts instead of buying the whole thing in a package. it will save you some cash here and there if ur strapped down like me...
Thanks. I tried Dell, they had the option, and the final price came to about $1,600 (had added some other extras). The only reason why I won't get it from Dell is because they want me to sign up for some Internet service (either their's or AOL, and I don't need either one).

Any other advice (or if you know how to get around that Dell situation)?
Old 06-19-02, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would wait until around Christmas to get a DVD burner... until the format war is decided. Right now DVD+RW offers faster burning times, but less compatibility with home DVD players. DVD-RW burners(especially the Pioneer A03) work with most home DVD players, but are slower to burn. DVD-RAM is used almost exclusively for data storage. Blue Laser DVD burning technology seems promising, but it's a while away and will be very expensive. If you have to go with something now, I'd get a DVD-RW burner.

If Dell doesn't want to build a PC with it Alienware or Voodoo will happily build one for you. If all else fails, my company can build one for you, but I'd prefer not seek business on Geoff's forums. You might also check with Gateway, but I haven't reccomended them in two years.

edited to remove my company's link

Last edited by Amator; 06-19-02 at 07:43 PM.