Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Windows 2000 Fax is disabling my phone line!

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 06-17-02, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just upgraded from Windows ME to 2000 and while I am familar with 2000 I need some help. While the computer is on, randomly, the computer will lock out my phone line and when I pick up the phone I do not get a dial tone. When I turn off the PC it comes back. Even when I am on the phone and on the computer, it will happen sometimes but not all the time. I can't figure out whats causing it.

There is both Microsoft Fax and WinFax on the computer and I disabled MS Fax in the services CP and I made WinFax and any reference to Faxing a manual option -- I disabled all automatic recieving.

Despite doing this, the phone line keeps getting turned off, and I can't find any open processes or programs that is running it.

I have a 3COM USR Win Modem with the latest drivers. Could this be my problem? Has this happened to anyone else? Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks

- John
Old 06-17-02, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strange. My semi-educated guess is that indeed, it is your modem. If you have it set up like mine, you have the wall input jack going into it, and the line going back out of the computer to the wall (or surge protector type deal as the case may be). So essentially you have it on a 'loop.' Something is interfering with that loop, ergo, your modem. Remove the line from it for a few days to test it and make absolutely sure it isn't the line itself, and although I do not run W-2000, you may want to look into the possibility of deleting the modem from your hardware profile and letting Win. re-install it. If you root around 3Com's site you may also be able to find some modem diagnostic programs, could be helpful.

If it's a software problem it's the strangest one I've ever heard, because even a Fax program isn't supposed to make a phone line completely disconnect...is it?