Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Question(s) about onboard peripherals

Old 06-16-02, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Question(s) about onboard peripherals

So the motherboard in my old pc was fried and I got a crappy ECS board to replace it. Everything in built in to this board, sound, video and nic. I have a nic I use and also a video, but I would like to use the onboard video, how do I do this? I checked in the bios and its enabled at 64 megs (it beats a 4 megs agp), but the only card detected is the 4 megs agp. Is removing that card the only way to get the onboard to be the one that is used? I looked around and couldn't find anything and the mobo had no documentation or cd (it was oem I think or something, bought it off a friend who runs a store for like 45$).

I also want to use the onboard sound as this pc has no soundcard, but it won't work. It's not being detected and if I run a windows update and get the drivers, I have no clue what it does, but it crashes in download and then I cant boot the pc as it says 'cannot write to drive C:' and I have to format (3 times since yesterday I tried).

Anyone know where I can get info on this board, I don't even know the model except its a cheap ECS. I would like to find how to get these things to work. Or if someone can tell me how to do so, i'd appreciate it.

Thanks
Old 06-16-02, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Integrated sound is usually turned on via the BIOS or a jumper on the board. Without the manual I wouldn't start flipping dip switches.

Keep in mind that your sound and video card is using your system memory...so make sure you have plenty.

Try the tech support here http://www.ecs.com.tw/
Old 06-16-02, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

what is plenty? i have xp, and 512mb of pc2100 memory. i'm thinking about getting another 512mb as memory prices have gone back down.
Old 06-16-02, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For a "normal" user on Windows XP 256mb is minimum and 512mb is a good sweet spot. You may not need the extra RAM, check your system resources. If you do a lot with Photoshop, try to max out your RAM, though; it will use as much as you throw at it.

I'm not sure which ECS board you have, as all the ECS boards at the computer store where I work come without onboard video. There is one decent ECS board, the K7S5A(Skt A, PC133 or PC2100, onboard sound), that has a big user community for it. Tom's Hardware also gave it a pretty high rating.