Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Is there a way to find out how many watts my power supply has?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 05-16-02, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hey gang,
I want to get the P4 chip and a new motherboard, but I have no idea how many watts my PS has and if my fan can handle a new chip and Mobo. The current system I have is a 533 MHZ Celeron and 448 MB SDRAM. Is there some way to measure the watts on the PS? Like an instrument or something? Thanks!
Old 05-16-02, 04:44 PM
X
Administrator

Not really by using an instrument, it's a total of the supplied voltages*amperes. You should be able to get a decent idea from the ratings on the power supply itself by multiplying each of the voltages by its corresponding amperage rating and adding it all up.

However that would probably be significantly higher than the PS would like to supply as they're probably peak wattages. I have a 350 watt PS that has much higher peak amperages listed than a friend's same wattage PS.

Your PS sure should say on it what the wattage is or at least have a model that you can lookup.
Old 05-16-02, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not really by using an instrument, it's a total of the supplied voltages*amperes. You should be able to get a decent idea from the ratings on the power supply itself by multiplying each of the voltages by its corresponding amperage rating and adding it all up.

How do I find where the voltages and amperes numbers are? Maybe somewhere in the BIOS or bootup?
I can't find the model name and number outside the PS, maybe its inside the case? This is a used computer that I got from a firend, it was made by a small local retailer. Thanks.
Old 05-16-02, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

open the case and look for the power supply. it'll be inside the case, right where the power plug goes in. the sticker will look something like this:

the sticker on it will have a bunch of junk, but hopefully you can at least find the manufacturer and model number. that should be sufficient for you to look online and see if it will work with a P4. alternately you could look at the individual voltages and see if they are adequate, but unless you already know what you need, you'll have to look those up too.
Old 05-16-02, 05:19 PM
X
Administrator

I never saw a PS that didn't have each voltage and amperage listed. If yours doesn't, you're out of luck for that method. But as I said, that's a very max rating. How about talking to the retailer?
Old 05-16-02, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Nice picture, Eeyore!
I'd hate to have to open up the case myself, so I gues I'll have a pro look at it. So 300W should be enough for a P4? I also was wondering about my fan too. Is it safe to assume that it will handle a P4? How can I find out? Or its safer to get a new one? Some of the P4 chips I saw came with their own fans.
Old 05-16-02, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

you will DEFINITELY need a new CPU fan with a P4. "retail" chips come with fans, "OEM" chips will not come with a fan and you'll need to get one separately.

300 watts may be enough to run a P4, but i think P4 power supplies have a different connection to the motherboard so you need to make sure yours will work. you don't need to be worried about opening the computer's case, but if you're really nervous about it, maybe you should do some reading before you consider doing an upgrade yourself.
Old 05-16-02, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I figured I'd need a new fan. I'll see how much power my PS has, it could be more than 300W since my friend said that it was a new case. I'll have a chat with my retailer about my options. Thanks, everybody!