Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

A question about Outlook 2000

Old 05-16-02, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

A question about Outlook 2000

If Office is installed on Windows XP, it personalizes itself for each user. SO, each user can use their own initials in Word and their own email server in Outlook. My question is (it's a two-parter)

1) Is there any way to liink the personal folders between two users in Outlook? My mom and dad use the same email account, but have separate user names in XP. Is there a way they can both use the the same Personal Folder within Outlook, so that they share contact info, emails, etc, and so if one person checks their email, it appears in the inbox for both users?

2) I have a laptop in my room and it is connected to our home network. Is there a way I can have Outlook on my account link to the Personal Folder for my Outlook on my laptop, over the network? I want to have the same options I listed in part 1, but over the network instead of on the same computer.

Thanks!
Old 05-16-02, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm not sure if 2 users can share a pst file if delivery is set to that pst. I can tell you fairly confidently that concurrent access to that pst won't work.
Old 05-16-02, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: A question about Outlook 2000

Originally posted by shaun3000
If Office is installed on Windows XP, it personalizes itself for each user. SO, each user can use their own initials in Word and their own email server in Outlook. My question is (it's a two-parter)

1) Is there any way to liink the personal folders between two users in Outlook? My mom and dad use the same email account, but have separate user names in XP. Is there a way they can both use the the same Personal Folder within Outlook, so that they share contact info, emails, etc, and so if one person checks their email, it appears in the inbox for both users?
Yes, you should be able to move the PST out of the DOCUMENTS and SETTINGS\user subfolder and move it to say a C:\MAIL folder and just setup both profiles to deliver to the same PST. They'll have to realize that they'll also be able to read the messages sent by eachother from the Sent Items folder also. As long as only one copy of Outlook tries to access the PST at a time there's no problem.

You MIGHT want to have them use 2 seperate Personal Address books tho. But that's your choice.

2) I have a laptop in my room and it is connected to our home network. Is there a way I can have Outlook on my account link to the Personal Folder for my Outlook on my laptop, over the network? I want to have the same options I listed in part 1, but over the network instead of on the same computer.
Thanks!
Sure... you have 2 choices. Either map a network drive to the location of the remote PC and use that to setup the outlook profile to find the PST (x:\mail\mailbox.pst), OR use UNC name (\\computer1\c\mail\mailbox.pst).

I don't see a problem with any of this. As I've never tried #1 I can't guarantee it'll work, however at work we have PSTs stored on the servers and users access them via Outlook on their PCs and they either open 'em via a mapped drive letter or via UNC name. Good luck!
Old 05-16-02, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

OK, well how do I tell Outlook to use a different PST file as the default personal folder?
Old 05-16-02, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Nosmo Rex
I'm not sure if 2 users can share a pst file if delivery is set to that pst. I can tell you fairly confidently that concurrent access to that pst won't work.
I know that two people can't access a PST at once. I'm not trying to do that. I just want two people to be able to access the PST, either onteh same computer but different users, or on two seperate computers, over a network.
Old 05-16-02, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Setting the "Delivery" option should do that. Add a Personal Folder service pointing to the pst file that will be shared. On the Delivery tab in Services, under "Deliver new mail to the following location", select that Personal folder. That will make it the default folder for that profile.

[disclaimer]It probably wouldn't hurt to make a backup copy of the original pst before you start, btw.[/disclaimer]

Last edited by Nosmo Rex; 05-16-02 at 04:39 PM.
Old 05-16-02, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

And where is Services..?
Old 05-16-02, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

And where is Services..?
In the Tools menu.
Old 05-16-02, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't have Services, I have, "Send/Receive, Address Book..., Find, Advanced Find..., Organize, Empty 'Deleted Items' Folder, Forms, Macro, Accounts..., Customize..., and Options..." I also have Chapura Settings for my Palm Pilot...

I have Outlook 2000, if that makes any difference.
Old 05-16-02, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've got Outlook 2000 on one of my PCs at work, and Outlook 2002 on the other. D'oh! I just realized I'm using the Corporate/Workgroup config there. It definitely looks different. I'm using Outlook 2002 at home too. Let me re-configure my Outlook 2000 tomorrow and let you know. Sorry about that.
Outlook 2002 handles that stuff differently.
Old 05-16-02, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I figured that was the case (Outlook 2002 handling stuff differently)

Thanks

Old 06-04-02, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

BUMP

Nosmo Rex, didja ever reconfigure your Outlook? I'd say it's tomorrow and then some!