Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

[SOLVED] StarCraft does not use full screen in notebook computer

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

[SOLVED] StarCraft does not use full screen in notebook computer

Old 05-13-02, 02:04 AM
  #1  
Stealth Moderator
Thread Starter
 
namja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: High Definition
Posts: 24,970
StarCraft does not use full screen in notebook computer

When I play StarCraft on my notebook computer, it does not use the whole screen. I just uses the middle portion of the screen. I'm guessing 640x480 portion, out of the 1024x768 native resolution.

Is there a setting that I can change so that the app will stretch to utilize the whole screen?
namja is offline  
Old 05-13-02, 03:50 AM
  #2  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 20,687
I hope this is a simple problem.
Try pressing the = button with the plus above it, it is right next to the backspace button, at least it is on my keyboard. Hopefully, this will resize the picture to a bigger size.
Ranger is offline  
Old 05-13-02, 09:54 AM
  #3  
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 8,359
dig around your display properties under advanced. there should be a setting for stretching the picture. so notebooks also have the setting in the BIOS so if it's not in display properties then dig around the BIOS.

--HN
HN is offline  
Old 05-13-02, 09:58 AM
  #4  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Number Nine Ville
Posts: 7,103
wow namja, you play SC???? Do you have BW, too??? I havent played SC in ages, but it'd be cool to play either against or with you.
IdgIe49 is offline  
Old 05-14-02, 01:58 AM
  #5  
Stealth Moderator
Thread Starter
 
namja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: High Definition
Posts: 24,970
grr1, the = button didn't work.

HN, I could not locate the "Stretch" setting. The only "Stretch" I found was for the Screen Saver, and that is enabled. But I will do a search again.

IdgIe49, I play BW every now and then. Usually when my friends in SoCal get on line. We play 3v3 or 4v4 action. Pretty fun, especially when we use our headsets (through Roger Wilco usually).
namja is offline  
Old 05-14-02, 02:42 AM
  #6  
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 8,359
what's the model of the video card?

--HN
HN is offline  
Old 05-14-02, 04:23 AM
  #7  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 14,812
Originally posted by IdgIe49
wow namja, you play SC???? Do you have BW, too??? I havent played SC in ages, but it'd be cool to play either against or with you.
Wow, you play too?
criptik28 is offline  
Old 05-14-02, 05:30 AM
  #8  
Stealth Moderator
Thread Starter
 
namja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: High Definition
Posts: 24,970
Originally posted by HN
what's the model of the video card?
ATI Mobility 128 AGP 2X (Dell)
namja is offline  
Old 05-14-02, 06:52 AM
  #9  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Earth
Posts: 2,693
yeah, usually, there is a FN+something to make the screen full (varies by make and model for exact command). some models have a settings menu that you need to dig thru.

but you may not like it anyway...
young is offline  
Old 05-14-02, 09:02 AM
  #10  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Number Nine Ville
Posts: 7,103
Originally posted by criptik28


Wow, you play too?
yup. do you?
IdgIe49 is offline  
Old 05-14-02, 11:29 AM
  #11  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
Posts: 29,694
it's possible that Star craft only runs in 640x480
if so I think it will never go full screen with a LCD
when LCDs are put into resolutions other than their max it results in black bars around the sides since they work differently than CRTs
mikehunt is offline  
Old 05-14-02, 11:34 AM
  #12  
X
Administrator
 
X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1987
Location: AA-
Posts: 10,690
Originally posted by mikehunt
it's possible that Star craft only runs in 640x480
if so I think it will never go full screen with a LCD
when LCDs are put into resolutions other than their max it results in black bars around the sides since they work differently than CRTs
That's what the stretch mode, set in the BIOS or a manufacturer supplied utility, is for. However the stretched image probably won't look as good as the standard one.
X is offline  
Old 05-14-02, 11:40 AM
  #13  
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 8,359
Originally posted by namja

ATI Mobility 128 AGP 2X (Dell)
ok, the dell 8200 here at work has a radeon 7500 in it. if there's the same features on the drivers then go to display properties-->advanced-->displays-->panel-->check the option "scale to fit screen" or something similar to that. should do it...if it's there.

--HN
HN is offline  
Old 05-14-02, 12:23 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Posts: 2,708
I am having the same problem on my computer. I have my computer display on my new 19" monitor at 1024 X 768 and it displays just the starcraft game half on and half off the screen. When I had my old 15" screen set at 800x600, it worked fine.
Lampei is offline  
Old 05-14-02, 12:23 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: WashingtonDC
Posts: 1,182
when you boot, do the initial screens (memory count, etc) take up the whole screen, or just a box in the center? if just in the center, then the BIOS settings that X and HN earlier referred to is probably what you need to look for. i turned off the BIOS stretch on a laptop and had a similar issue to what you're describing when i ran some games or a full-screen dos window.
Eeyore is offline  
Old 05-14-02, 04:06 PM
  #16  
Stealth Moderator
Thread Starter
 
namja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: High Definition
Posts: 24,970
Originally posted by Eeyore
when you boot, do the initial screens (memory count, etc) take up the whole screen, or just a box in the center? if just in the center, then the BIOS settings that X and HN earlier referred to is probably what you need to look for. i turned off the BIOS stretch on a laptop and had a similar issue to what you're describing when i ran some games or a full-screen dos window.
The initial boot up screen takes up the whole screen. All the other apps (including DOS apps) take up the whole screen.

I looked in the BIOS and didn't see anything either ... but maybe I should take a closer look.
namja is offline  
Old 05-14-02, 04:06 PM
  #17  
Stealth Moderator
Thread Starter
 
namja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: High Definition
Posts: 24,970
Originally posted by HN
ok, the dell 8200 here at work has a radeon 7500 in it. if there's the same features on the drivers then go to display properties-->advanced-->displays-->panel-->check the option "scale to fit screen" or something similar to that. should do it...if it's there.
My card doesn't have "panel" under displays.
namja is offline  
Old 05-14-02, 04:39 PM
  #18  
X
Administrator
 
X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1987
Location: AA-
Posts: 10,690
Originally posted by namja
The initial boot up screen takes up the whole screen. All the other apps (including DOS apps) take up the whole screen.

I looked in the BIOS and didn't see anything either ... but maybe I should take a closer look.
Then it sounds like it's an issue with StarCraft since you must have expansion enabled.

I forget how it runs. Is it in a DOS window? Are there properties you can check out on its shortcut? Does it have any screen configuration properties itself?
X is offline  
Old 05-14-02, 04:39 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 20,687
grr1, the = button didn't work.


Are you ABSOLUTELY sure that there' not any keyboard buttons that'll make your screen get bigger. Sometimes, when I play some games like Star wars' jedi knight, it plays in a small screen, and I have to press the button to put the full screen.
Ranger is offline  
Old 05-14-02, 05:08 PM
  #20  
Stealth Moderator
Thread Starter
 
namja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: High Definition
Posts: 24,970
Originally posted by grr1
Are you ABSOLUTELY sure that there' not any keyboard buttons that'll make your screen get bigger. Sometimes, when I play some games like Star wars' jedi knight, it plays in a small screen, and I have to press the button to put the full screen.
I'm sure there is a button ... somewhere. I forgot to mention this earlier (I REALLY SHOULD HAVE), but StarCraft used to run full-screen. I didn't change anything in the BIOS (because the first time I went into the BIOS was after reading this thread), and I don't remember pressing anything to change the display settings. But since last week, SC has been running partial screen. I checked all 7 screens in BIOS today, and there wasn't anything for screen expansion.

Anyway, I have the Dell Inspiron 4000 with 1024x768 native screen resolution.
namja is offline  
Old 05-15-02, 02:39 AM
  #21  
Uber Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Overlooking Pearl Harbor
Posts: 16,232
Not sure if this is of any help as it sounds like a Macintosh solution...

http://source.bungie.org/_enginedeve.../graphics.html
Window Mode (6/21/00)
Nathan T suggests implimenting a "window mode" like in Unreal and Starcraft . You hit a key, (command-m on Srarcraft) and the game goes into a window instead of full screen. This is handy for checking email or somthing during a game without quiting the game.
Blade is offline  
Old 05-16-02, 12:51 PM
  #22  
Stealth Moderator
Thread Starter
 
namja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: High Definition
Posts: 24,970
Originally posted by Blade
Nathan T suggests implimenting a "window mode" like in Unreal and Starcraft . You hit a key, (command-m on Srarcraft) and the game goes into a window instead of full screen. This is handy for checking email or somthing during a game without quiting the game.
Anyone know how to this in a Windows environment?

Anyone own a Dell Inspiron 4000/4100?
namja is offline  
Old 05-16-02, 01:09 PM
  #23  
X
Administrator
 
X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1987
Location: AA-
Posts: 10,690
Originally posted by namja
Anyone own a Dell Inspiron 4000/4100?
He does! Check the link on the bottom.



http://www.dell.com/us/en/dhs/offers...en_special.htm
X is offline  
Old 05-18-02, 02:48 AM
  #24  
Stealth Moderator
Thread Starter
 
namja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: High Definition
Posts: 24,970
Originally posted by young
yeah, usually, there is a FN+something to make the screen full (varies by make and model for exact command). some models have a settings menu that you need to dig thru.
I finally found the solution. It's Fn+F7. The keyboard says "Font" on it. That stretches the DOS Font to fill the whole screen.

Thanks all for your help.
namja is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.