Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Is there something that can tell me exactly whats running in my Windows Task Manager?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Is there something that can tell me exactly whats running in my Windows Task Manager?

Old 05-11-02, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was just looking in the task manager in Win2k and got to wondering what half of whats in there is. Right now I'm using 103,264K and all thats running is 2 browser windows, AIM, Exit Killer popup and thats pretty much it as far as major stuff.

I see 2 svchosts.exe file running...why?

So is there a list or program that can tell me ?

Thanks
Old 05-11-02, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

A look at the list of processes running in the Processes tab of Task Manager will tell you what's running.

One thing that comes to mind is that you might have a lot of services running in the background.

RD
Old 05-11-02, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

DivxGuy that is the list I'm refering to. I really don't have anything installed on here that runs in the background. That is other than I refered to in the previous post. It just seems kind of excessive and I've also been throught my "Services" menu in Win2k and turned off the automatic startups that don't need to be automatic.

Here is a snapshot of what I have running
Task Manager

Url if clicking doesn't work
http://www.geocities.com/wescat2/imageC05.JPG
Old 05-12-02, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by DivxGuy
A look at the list of processes running in the Processes tab of Task Manager will tell you what's running.

One thing that comes to mind is that you might have a lot of services running in the background.

RD
Yeah, what are all those "svchost.exe" thingies anyway? I usually have a ton of them (5-10).
Old 05-12-02, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

A quick cut and paste from the MS website:

Core ProcessProcess Description
Csrss.exe1An essential subsystem that is active at all times. Csrss.exe is the user-mode portion of the Windows subsystem and it maintains console windows and creates or deletes threads. Csrss stands for client/server run-time subsystem.
Explorer.exeAn interactive graphical user interface shell. It provides the familiar Windows taskbar and desktop environment.
Internat.exeWhen enabled, a process that displays the EN (English) and other language icons in the system notification area, allowing the user to switch between locales.
Lsass.exe1The local security authentication (LSA) subsystem server component generates the process that authenticates users for the Winlogon service. The LSA also responds to authentication information received from the Graphical Identification and Authentication (GINA) Msgina.dll component. If authentication is successful, Lsass.exe generates the user's access token, which starts the initial shell. Other processes that the user initiates inherit this token.
Mstask.exe1The task scheduler service. It runs tasks at a time determined by the user.
Smss.exe1The Session Manager subsystem, which starts the user session. This process is initiated by the system thread and is responsible for various activities, including starting the Winlogon.exe and Csrss.exe services and setting system variables.
Spoolsv.exe1The spooler service. It manages spooled print and fax jobs.
Svchost.exe1A generic process that acts as a host for other processes running from dynamic-link libraries (DLLs). Multiple entries for this process might be present in the Task Manager list. For more information about Svchost.exe, see article Q250320, "Description Of Svchost.exe," in the Microsoft Knowledge Base. To find this article, see the Microsoft Knowledge Base link on the Web Resources page at http://www.microsoft.com/windows/reskits/webresources.
Services.exe1The Service Control Manager can start, stop, and pause system services.
System1The system process, which is the process in which most kernel-mode threads run.
System Idle1A separate instance of this process runs for each processor present, and has the single purpose of accounting for unused processor time.
Taskmgr.exeThe process that runs Task Manager.
Winlogon.exe1The process that manages user logon and logoff. Winlogon runs when a user presses CTRL+ALT+DEL to open the logon dialog box.
Winmgmt.exe1A core component of client management. This process starts when the first client application connects, or when management applications request its services.
Old 05-12-02, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

if you see something not on belboz's list, you can check here