Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Need urgent help, windows is all messed up and I can't use my computer.

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 05-10-02, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Windows XP Pro
60 GB HD
256 MB RAM
ATI All in Wonder 7500 video card
Athlon 1700+ CPU (1.46 GHZ).
Old Packard Hell monitor

When I turn on the machine, everything is normal through the bios and start up screens, but once Windows comes on everything is messed up. The screen is repeated six times left to right (so everything is really scrunched), though things are more or less OK from top to bottom (though everything is really stretched). Plus the resolution looks horrible, nothing can be read, and I can't even find the start button to turn the da&& thing off.

My first thought was that it was the monitor, but things are find until Windows kicks in, plus things are fine now on this other computer (I switched the monitor over). Could it be my video card? I don't have the latest driver update to it. How do I turn my computer on in safe mode?

I am on my old computer right now (75 MHZ processor, 14.4 k baud modem), which is how I am able to leave this message.

Thanks for any help.
Old 05-10-02, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

your monitor does not support the refresh rate it's set to. When the computer is about to bootup, hit the F8 key, Then select safe mode. Once you back in Windows, open up the display properties --> advanced --> monitor --> set to a refresh rate like 75hz.

BTW, what resolution are you running at cuz the your old monitor probably will not support 75hz @ 1024 x 768 or 1280 x 1024. In that case, try 60hz first.
Old 05-10-02, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

800 x 600 resolution.

But everything had been working fine for a couple of months (the new machine is one of those $200 outpost computers (case, mobo, CPU)), it just started acting up.

I believe that my 4 year old play around with the computer, so there is no telling what setting he changed.

But the resolution does sound right, I will reconnect my new computer soon and check it out. Thanks.
Old 05-10-02, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Heat
800 x 600 resolution.

But everything had been working fine for a couple of months (the new machine is one of those $200 outpost computers (case, mobo, CPU)), it just started acting up.

I believe that my 4 year old play around with the computer, so there is no telling what setting he changed.

But the resolution does sound right, I will reconnect my new computer soon and check it out. Thanks.
It's either your connection is loose or the refresh rate is set too high. I'm betting on the latter.
Old 05-10-02, 09:35 PM
X
Administrator

Boot into safe mode, choose a VGA boot, and change the resolution/refresh rate to what it should be when you get into Windows. Or set it to VGA/60Hz and then boot normally. I don't do this much so I don't remember if you set it to exactly what you want when you're in safe mode.
Old 05-10-02, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by X
Boot into safe mode, choose a VGA boot...
Yep, that was it.

First I tried changing the settings under properties but it did nothing. Then I tried booting with the "Last known settings that worked", still no dice.

So then I tried booting with "Enable VGA Mode", which worked (though everything was automatic at that point, I didn't have to choose anything).

Thanks zuffy and X, and I would like to give the following advice to anybody out there with a 75 mhz machine: upgrade. There is a huge difference between a 1.47 ghz machine and a 75 mhz machine.

I still don't know what my wife / son did that caused it (or if it was windows acting up), but now I know the cure. Thanks again!

(and I have tried rebooting, it comes up fine still)