Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Help: Computer automatically shut off and won't turn back on.

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 05-07-02, 05:14 PM

I was playing TFC and just before a large explosion my computer completely shut off. I attempted pressing the power button but it would not turn back on and restart. I touched the power supply area and it was very hot, almost to the point where you could not keep your hand there, but not quite that hot. I proceeded to wait until everything cooled down. 20 minutes later the computer would still not turn on.

I then disconnected and reconnected everything on my motherboard, including the power supply. It still won't turn on.

I am running Win98SE, 800 MHz Celeron, on board AGP, 256megs of ram, Live! 5.1 PCI. I have encountered frequent lockups (maybe once every 8 hours of use), especially during computer games such as TFC. The computer normally freezes and I just reboot it. This time it completely shut off, which I thought was unusual, as if someone unplugged it from the back. Now it won't turn back on.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 05-07-02, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

did it seem that it was just the power supply that was that hot, or the inside of the case too? could've been a bad power supply, which is fairly cheap and easy to fix.

i'd definitely take a look at everything you disconnected & reconnected. i can't tell you how many times i've made a small mistake like not seating the memory right and only find out after freaking out for a long time. (and i guess my other advice from experience is: don't do anything rash :> you'll regret it later)

did you smell smoke? i'm not sure how hot a celeron gets, but i'm hoping that wasn't the problem
Old 05-07-02, 06:16 PM

Originally posted by Eeyore

did you smell smoke? i'm not sure how hot a celeron gets, but i'm hoping that wasn't the problem
Not at all. But I have experienced a "burning" smell over the past few days. But the odor was very, very faint and once I sat down for a minute I wouldn't notice it.
Old 05-07-02, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I had a stupid Emachines that would turn off and stuff, had trouble turning it back on...was weird.
Old 05-07-02, 09:19 PM

Thanks for all the replies. Went to Best Buy to replace the power supply, works great so far.