Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Question about non-completed Kazaa files.

Old 05-06-02, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Question about non-completed Kazaa files.

I did a search and couldn't really find anything. How can you view a file if it's only partially downloaded with Kazaa? Can you just change the extension or something?

Thanks
Old 05-06-02, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Depending on the type of file you are downloading, yes. If it was a movie file, usually they are .mpg or .avi. Music, .mp3 or .wma.
Old 05-06-02, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, if it's an incomplete MP3, you can listen to it if you do a right-click and do an "open with..." I know it will open in Winamp.

If it's any kind of movie-type file, I think you're out of luck until the download is complete. I've tried a bunch of times to view a partially downloaded MPEG and it's never worked.

I hope this helps.
Old 05-06-02, 12:52 PM
Banned

This is not universal for any type of file. Kazaa doesn't necessarily download it in order, it can get half from one place and half from another, then it sticks them together in the correct order when it's done. Mine will frequently be downloading one file from 4-5 people at once (because I have a fast connection and they don't).
Old 05-06-02, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Here's what you do. Install a download manager like Download Accelerator, and get it to pick up URL's from the clipboard (should do it by default). When a portion of your file is downloaded from Kazaa, then right click it and choose preview/play. The download manager should kick in and it will start to download it from the Kazaa dat file (no you are not downloading files at 1MB/s off the internet). Cancel the download from the download manager (not Kazaa) when a suitable amount is downloaded. Go to where your download mananger keeps it's temp files and change the extension of the appropriate temp file. Then run it.
MP3's and MPG movies should play fine. With DivX movies you may need to use DivFix on the file before opening it. As far as I know this method doesn't work on MOV, ZIP, EXE and many other files. But most of the stuff I download is MP3's and MPG/AVI's anyway.

The reason you shouldn't just change the extension of the Kazaa temp file is that it's not always just a downloaded portion of the end file. It contains other information in it as well. Notice that when you are downloading a large file (100+MB) then Kazaa will keep a temp file for it at the end file size, even if only 1MB has been downloaded.
Old 05-06-02, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

yeah, i was gonna say there a prog called divfix that will let you view partially downloaded movies. (legal ones, of course)