Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Best online custom built computer shop?

Old 05-03-02, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Best online custom built computer shop?

I was curious who people thought nowadays were the better and best places online to buy a custom computer?
In the past I had heard gamepc.com but not sure nowadays. I am looking at have a custom computer built and I have no desire to do it myself and I know of no good place here in Tampa. Any recommendations?
Old 05-03-02, 09:19 PM

If your looking for gaming machines I would recommend:

Alienware: http://www.alienware.com/
Falcon Northwest: http://www.falcon-nw.com/

Neither one is cheap, but they are two of the best as far as gaming machines go.

Jeff
Old 05-03-02, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I know it's been said a lot in this forum, but you'd be better off building it yourself. You will learn a lot more, you can ask us and many other people questions, and it will always be cheaper.
Old 05-03-02, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If you are going to go with a custom built one like falcon or alienware, go for the falcon. You are supporting a much smaller and less commercial business that isn't hell bent on becoming a big baddie in the industry. Just a local Ashland Oregon fella and his small team building very quality computers. They have some new really cool ass paint jobs too but they are a pretty penny.

But you can never go wrong with building one, and I guarantee that once you do, and you succeed, you will never want to buy another pre-built system again.

There is also Voodoopc from Canada too. I hear they make quality DV and Gaming systems as well.
Old 05-03-02, 10:34 PM

I agree totally with building your own...I've built my last 4 machines for roughly the cost of what I could have gotten one of the systems I've mentioned above. But, I would, just for once, like to get my hands on a brand new, top of the line Falcon machine

Jeff
Old 05-03-02, 10:45 PM

I have been ordering stuff from www.accessmicro.com for three years now. I just buy parts and do all the assembly myself but they offer custom 'built to order' systems burned in and with a warranty. They offer alot more flexibility than most places as to what components you can have installed. Much better than buying something from a major retailer that will be a pain in the ass to upgrade later.

-K
Old 05-03-02, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I would advise AGAINST www.neocomputers.com. Didn't learn my lesson the first time - had to send the computer back to them to have fixed - no idea what they did, but it's worked since then. The second computer came with something wrong - never was stable in Win98, was never able to load Win2k. Think it was a bad mobo since once that was replaced, the computer worked perfectly - they were of absolutely no help support wise, and alternatively, heard nothing but good things about falcon nw.
Old 05-03-02, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks everyone. I have considered doing it myself, but I just don't have the luck or patience, but then again maybe I will do that or just upgrade this one. The only problem with upgrading this one is I would be upgrading pretty much everything.
Old 05-04-02, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by innocentfreak
Thanks everyone. I have considered doing it myself, but I just don't have the luck or patience, but then again maybe I will do that or just upgrade this one. The only problem with upgrading this one is I would be upgrading pretty much everything.
If you need help or info on how to get started, this is the best forum for it.
Old 05-04-02, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ok so if this is something I truly decide to attempt myself. I figure I should just build a seperate computer than upgrading this one.
What would you all suggest I start with? I figure I will just be building it piece by piece.
Old 05-04-02, 03:31 PM

Start with the CPU and motherboard...they are the main components and in my opinion probably the most important. Whether you choose an AMD or INTEL, each of their websites should have a list of "recommended" motherboards for the CPU you select. These two will also be the bulk of your system cost if you want a high end CPU. I'm sure there are other people more knowledgable then me, but I always start with these two and build the rest of my system around them.

Memory, hard drives, etc will all be dependant on the motherboard you select.

Jeff
Old 05-05-02, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Who currently makes the best or one of the best motherboards? I would probably look at going with a P4 1.6 or so.
Old 05-05-02, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by innocentfreak
Who currently makes the best or one of the best motherboards? I would probably look at going with a P4 1.6 or so.
Asus (good for overclocking), Abit, Soyo (good for o/cing) and Tyan are four of the big motherboard manufacturers. My suggestion be to go over to www.anandtech.com or www.tomshardware.com and check out their motherboard roundup/review. Personally I have a Asus P4B-266C, very nice and only around $120. Check them out.

Huzefa
Old 05-05-02, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by huzefa

Asus (good for overclocking), Abit, Soyo (good for o/cing) and Tyan are four of the big motherboard manufacturers. My suggestion be to go over to www.anandtech.com or www.tomshardware.com and check out their motherboard roundup/review. Personally I have a Asus P4B-266C, very nice and only around $120. Check them out.

Huzefa
Well, I can't really help you since you decided to go pentium, but I'd suggest Soyo. I think they have a very nice Pentium mobo, I just purchased the Dragon Ultra KT333 and it works perfectly with my new XP 1900+ (just overclocked to 2000).

Here's Soyo's Pentium 4 offerings.
http://www.soyousa.com/products/sele...ntel_Pentium_4

I've heard good things about both the P4S and P4I.

Last edited by Blake; 05-05-02 at 09:45 PM.
Old 05-06-02, 01:07 PM

I am also considering building a new system, considering the fact that my Best Buy bought HP sucks. I don't know anything about motherboards, but I know that I wanna run an AMD chip. I've used the new Pentium 4s, and haven't been too impressed, whereas the AMD chips have also done the job. Where should I start, I'm looking to spend around $700 - $800 for the system, but don't need a monitor, video card (just bought a new one), modem/ethernet card, or speakers.

Any help would be appreciated

Sharad
Old 05-06-02, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Reviews of six AMD-supported motherboards:
http://www.extremetech.com/article/0...a=18386,00.asp

Reviews of 13 Pentium 4 motherboards:
http://www.extremetech.com/article/0...a=22995,00.asp

That should get you started.
Old 05-06-02, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Smangalick
I am also considering building a new system, considering the fact that my Best Buy bought HP sucks. I don't know anything about motherboards, but I know that I wanna run an AMD chip. I've used the new Pentium 4s, and haven't been too impressed, whereas the AMD chips have also done the job. Where should I start, I'm looking to spend around $700 - $800 for the system, but don't need a monitor, video card (just bought a new one), modem/ethernet card, or speakers.

Any help would be appreciated

Sharad
For about 700-800, you could build a pretty high-end system with what you already have.

I just recently had a company assemble the motherboard/cpu/ram combo for me since I really didn't want to go through the trouble of putting it all together - it's just too easy to screw that up.

There were a couple sites that I checked out before making any purchases and I went with AICMicro - www.aicmicro.com

Here's what I got for $530 shipped (with tax and all):

Soyo SY-KT333 Dragon Ultra, AMD Athlon XP Socket A 1900+
Samsung 512MB PC2700 333MHz DDR SDRAM, Assemble & Test
Thermaltake Volcano 7 Variable Heatsink & Cooling Fan Speed Control

Then all I had to do was add the graphics card that I already had along with the monitor, mouse & keyboard from my old computer.

It's a very nice motherboard and has some great features - including on-board LAN and RAID. There are many other sites out there that will also build the mobo/cpu combo for you and test it, which reduces headaches quite a bit.

If you need anything else, just post away.

For 700-800, you could easily up the 1900+ to a 2100+ and add more RAM or perhaps buy a new hard drive, etc.