Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

VPN's

Old 05-03-02, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

VPN's

Anybody here use a VPN on a regular basis? We are considering setting one up for a remote office and trying to get ideas on the performance and stability of them. Just testing a connection with my cable modem at home, and our vpn-firewall at work, the speed and reliability aren't quite was I was hoping for. Any opinions/experiences?

Dave
Old 05-03-02, 07:31 PM
X
Administrator

I use VPN all the time. What brand are you using? Hardware or software?
Old 05-03-02, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I use VPN just about every night to log into my company's private network.

It is very reliable and fast. We use VPN in combo with BlackIce firewall.
Old 05-03-02, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk God

i use vpn through checkpoint software to access our companies network

it beats the hell out of old ras access
Old 05-03-02, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Part hardware, part software . Company is using a watchguard firebox firewall&vpn unit on their end, I am using the software built into XP pro on my end. Connecting to our exchange server is kind of flakey (it times out looking for the server about half the time), mapping drives can take 30 seconds or more, and in general just seems kind of sluggish and not fast. If we implemented vpn for the remote office, we would use a hardware solution, although we are trying to figure out if it would be a 'consumer' level product (ie linksys DSL router w/vpn ~180 bucks) or something a little bit more (sonicwall, firebox soho) or a bit higher still (low end cisco), via a DSL line running at 384/384 or 512/512. I'm guessing the setup is not entirerly correct somewhere if you guys have all had better experiences with this.

Dave

Last edited by Dave99; 05-03-02 at 09:31 PM.
Old 05-03-02, 09:50 PM
X
Administrator

I've seen it flakey and very solid. Software clients can be marginal, I've seen ones that would only transfer around 8 MB before they consistently crapped out where a hardware one on the same end worked fine.

Long times of NetBIOS resolution (which is probably happening) can be fixed a couple of ways. Entries in the LMHOSTS table might help and there could be problems with the way your IPs, masks, and routes are set up. I've seen cases where you can't browse, but you can attach to a particular IP very quickly. Can you browse the remote network with Network Neighborhood? Can you map a remote machine's drive with the machine name? Is it much faster if you use the machine's IP rather than its name?

Come to think of it, what happens when you ping remote machines by name and then by IP? Is there a time difference in finding the remote machine?
Old 05-03-02, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by X
Can you browse the remote network with Network Neighborhood?

Nope.
Can you map a remote machine's drive with the machine name?

Yes

Is it much faster if you use the machine's IP rather than its name?

Yes

Come to think of it, what happens when you ping remote machines by name and then by IP? Is there a time difference in finding the remote machine?
Yes, the actual ping time is similar, but pinging by name takes much longer before the ping results show up.
In the tcp/ip properties for the vpn connection, I entered the dns and wins servers in use at the office. I think I'll try and put some entries in the lmhosts file and see if that speeds things up.

Dave
Old 05-05-02, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

X, thanks for the lmhosts suggestion, that sped things up a bunch.

Dave
Old 05-05-02, 10:38 PM
X
Administrator

Hey! I've been there, glad to help.

Sometimes you luck out. As I like to say, even a stopped clock is right twice a day.