Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Scanning/MS Word help needed

Old 05-01-02, 12:44 PM

Scanning/MS Word help needed

I am new to scanning documents and such and need some help. My wife is a school teacher and wants to scan in some of her school worksheets and add some text and graphics on them. However, once we scan in the worksheet and try to bring it up on MS Works or Word it just shows up as a bunch of weird symbols. I do not know if what we are trying to do is possible but could someone please help.
Old 05-01-02, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

what format are you trying to save it to (from the scanner?) if you save it as a jpg/tiff/bmp or some other standard format, word should at least be able to see it.

depending on what software you have, it may be difficult to add text/graphics to a scanned worksheet. If the worksheets are all text, you could try using OCR software if some came with the scanner, which would result in a text document... then you could edit it like any other document. (although the OCR that came with my HP scanner wasn't anything to write home about.)
Old 05-01-02, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

try opening the file outside word. if it doesn't work, then you didn't scan it right. also, be sure to use insert>picture in windows.