Reload this Page >

Cheap Graphics Card Recommendations?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 04-25-02, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As some of you may or may not know, I just built a new computer for my dad (or to be more exact, upgraded my computer and built him one with spare parts from mine).

In the future, I plan on upgrading my graphics card from the current All In Wonder 128 Pro to the All in Wonder Radeon 8500 (but it's $400 now, which is out of my price range). I was going to put my old card in the "new" computer for my dad, but I now have to keep it in mine. So I need suggestions for a cheap graphics card that can just do basic stuff. I'll use the computer occasionally to play games such as Diablo 2 or Civilization 3, so it has to be fairly good, but my dad will only be using the computer for Freecell.

I'd like to keep the cost under $60-70 if possible. Any ideas?
Old 04-25-02, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

NewEgg has a ATI OEM XPERT 2000 PRO 32MB 4X AGP for $29

and

ATI OEM RAGE 128 PRO 16MB SDR 4X AGP BULK Powered by ATI RAGE 128, Hardware DVD for full-screen, full-frame rate MPEG-2OEM Version for $26.00

This computer does have a DVD-ROM, but I doubt it will ever be used since we do have a dedicated DVD system. But it would be nice to have a back-up just in case. I would assume that the 32 MB would be better than the 16MB, but it doesn't mention anything about DVD playback in the first one. Thoughts? Ideas?
Old 04-25-02, 11:53 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I shoved a PCI XPERT 98 in my son's machine to hold him over until he got my GeForce2 (which will be this weekend since I got a Radeon 7500 for my HTPC). It works fine with DVD playback on his monitor and actually handles games pretty well too. I don't think you have to worry about anything at that level or better. Actually DVD playback doesn't need any better than a PCI card anyway. Games have the more intensive requirements.
Old 04-26-02, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Cheap Graphics Card Recommendations?

Originally posted by Blake
As some of you may or may not know, I just built a new computer for my dad (or to be more exact, upgraded my computer and built him one with spare parts from mine).

In the future, I plan on upgrading my graphics card from the current All In Wonder 128 Pro to the All in Wonder Radeon 8500 (but it's $400 now, which is out of my price range). I was going to put my old card in the "new" computer for my dad, but I now have to keep it in mine. So I need suggestions for a cheap graphics card that can just do basic stuff. I'll use the computer occasionally to play games such as Diablo 2 or Civilization 3, so it has to be fairly good, but my dad will only be using the computer for Freecell.

I'd like to keep the cost under $60-70 if possible. Any ideas?
$52 shipped. way better than those low end ati cards

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...ion=14-129-007

overclockable to close to GTS levels. pass on the Xpert or Rage 128 all based on the very old and out of date rage 128 chipset.

if you need an ATI at least get a card like this

ATI RADEON 7000 32MB SDR W/TV OUT BULK

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...ry=1126&DEPA=1

for $49 shipped slower than the GTS-v card but way faster than the Rage chipset and at least made in this century
Old 04-26-02, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You could always get a Radeon 7500 AIW card for like 150 or whatever... I'm assuming you have a good reason to go with the AIW line. I have a Radeon 7500 in a spare parts PC and it's really really nice. Otherwise, I'd just forego the DVD playback and get yourself a Geforce 2. The Gainwards are great. Also - I've always had a soft spot for Matrox cards... the G450 - while a little outdated - is still pretty nice for 80 bucks. Plus the image quality is almost unmatched even by today's cards. It doesn't have the high framerates, but it sure does put out a great picture and it'll run most games out there now pretty well.
Old 04-26-02, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i'd say get the Geforce 2. It's pretty cheap, and still a fairly good card.
Old 04-26-02, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Re: Cheap Graphics Card Recommendations?

Originally posted by gcribbs

overclockable to close to GTS levels. pass on the Xpert or Rage 128 all based on the very old and out of date rage 128 chipset.

if you need an ATI at least get a card like this

ATI RADEON 7000 32MB SDR W/TV OUT BULK

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...ry=1126&DEPA=1

for $49 shipped slower than the GTS-v card but way faster than the Rage chipset and at least made in this century
got the gts-v myself. have it overclocked a bit and it rocks. best card for the money, imo.

cranky.
Old 04-27-02, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Re: Re: Cheap Graphics Card Recommendations?

Originally posted by crankyman

got the gts-v myself. have it overclocked a bit and it rocks. best card for the money, imo.

cranky.
i got one from newegg and just my luck it failed after 5 months- asked newegg for an RMA and they replaced it with another one . The original RMA was for a repair however they just sent me another one instead.

Newegg is simply a great company.
Old 04-29-02, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Re: Cheap Graphics Card Recommendations?

Thanks gcribbs - I know I can always count on you for good advice. Just ordered it and hope it gets here soon. I don't plan on overclocking it, but it appears to be a good card for just $55 shipped.
Old 04-29-02, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk God

nice review from low to high end

http://www4.tomshardware.com/graphic...418/index.html
Old 04-29-02, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Re: Re: Cheap Graphics Card Recommendations?

Originally posted by Blake

Thanks gcribbs - I know I can always count on you for good advice. Just ordered it and hope it gets here soon. I don't plan on overclocking it, but it appears to be a good card for just $55 shipped.
let me know what you think when you get it

I just put one in a computer for my brother so i really like this card for the money.
Old 04-30-02, 03:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Newegg is offering a Radeon 32mb DDR for $39 + shipping. I ordered one of those yesterday for a friend.

RD
Old 04-30-02, 04:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by DivxGuy
Newegg is offering a Radeon 32mb DDR for $39 + shipping. I ordered one of those yesterday for a friend.

RD
isn't it substantially slower than the GF2 GTS?
Old 04-30-02, 04:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by .

yes it is slower. The radeon that is faster would be the 7500.
Old 04-30-02, 04:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by .

I wouldn't say substantially, but yeah - it's somewhat slower. It's still a good card - especially for that money. ATI has been doing better with their drivers from what I've read. I know their 8500 drivers are solid.
Old 04-30-02, 04:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Trigger

I wouldn't say substantially, but yeah - it's somewhat slower. It's still a good card - especially for that money. ATI has been doing better with their drivers from what I've read. I know their 8500 drivers are solid.
yeah, well, their drivers for the ati tv card sucks

I also had an earlier ATi card, and the drivers totally fokked up my computer. They make good cards, but drivers are sukekeke. I'm planning to stick to the GF cards for now.
Old 04-30-02, 05:45 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by .

yeah, well, their drivers for the ati tv card sucks

I also had an earlier ATi card, and the drivers totally fokked up my computer. They make good cards, but drivers are sukekeke. I'm planning to stick to the GF cards for now.
true.. there are a couple ati cards out right now that dont suck

but their driver support is awful..

for now.. i cant see how it makes sense to buy anything except nvidia, until the other makers can get their stuff together
Old 04-30-02, 11:10 AM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Trigger

People who wanted to use the 8500 for HTPC are returning them in droves, ATI's driver support is so bad. I've seen the conversations with ATI representatives and their justification for their pitiful software support is pretty sad.

I have a 7500 that I got for dual monitor support and have had all sorts of problems trying to get the dual monitors to work properly at different resolutions. Out of Win98, Win2K, and WinXP, so far only Win98 has worked decently. These are the same drivers as used for the 8500 but features that work properly with the 7500, such as gamma, don't even work with the 8500.

I'm missing my GeForce2 which had great driver support, but I really want the dual monitor ability. And the picture is very good on the 7500. At least what I can get working.
Old 04-30-02, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My HTPC has a Radeon LE (flashed with 32mb DDR BIOS), and it works a treat. On the other hand, I spent nearly an entire day trying to get the ATI DVD player to work, with no success. Glad I'm not alone, though.

RD
Old 04-30-02, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So to change the topic slightly, what card would you recommend with a higher budget. I definitely want to stay below 200 for now. I would be running it on a Win98se P3 500 with 256 megs of ram. I am currently running a TNT2 Ultra.
Old 04-30-02, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by innocentfreak
So to change the topic slightly, what card would you recommend with a higher budget. I definitely want to stay below 200 for now. I would be running it on a Win98se P3 500 with 256 megs of ram. I am currently running a TNT2 Ultra.
geforce3 ti200 for $100 and clock it up to a 500

or pay $200 and just get a geforce3 ti500 (if you dont want to overclock)

geforce4 currently does not run any faster then an equal geforce3 card
Old 04-30-02, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by innocentfreak
GAINWARD/CARDEXPERT GeForce 3 Ti200 64MB (NVIDIA GeForce3 Ti 200 GPU), Power Pack Golden Sample, ( 4ns 64MB DDR. ). TV-Out. Overclocking enhanced performance mode.

this card has an overclock mode built in that is guaranteed to work. $131 shipped from newegg.com

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...ry=1387&DEPA=1
Old 04-30-02, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by X

Out of Win98, Win2K, and WinXP, so far only Win98 has worked decently. These are the same drivers as used for the 8500 but features that work properly with the 7500, such as gamma, don't even work with the 8500.
This kind of substandard driver support has been plaguing their products for a while now. Just prior to the release of Radeon 8500, they were promising to re-dedicate themselves to developing better drivers. Apparently, however, in their minds, that has basically meant copying nVidia's unified driver packaging.

Their flagship product in their core market is still hampered by imcomplete, buggy, and/or poorly optimized drivers. They're late with the follow-up to the R200 and yet they've deemed this to be a good time to jump into the motherboard chipset business.

Originally posted by twikoff

geforce4 currently does not run any faster then an equal geforce3 card
The Geforce4 Ti4200 boards are due out within a few weeks. They should come in 64MB and 128MB varieties and should both be under $200. They are faster than the Geforce3 Ti500 on many benchmarks, especially newer games that take advantage of the vertex shader.

This is because the Geforce4 Ti chips have 2 vertex shaders vs. the Geforce3 which has just 1. nVidia also tweaked the memory controller on the Geforce4 Ti's and they improved the dual monitor support as well.

I bought a Gainward Geforce3 Ti200 a bit ago and it's a great card, but I'll be trading it in for a Geforce4 Ti4200 when those become available.
Old 04-30-02, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

GAINWARD/CARDEXPERT GeForce 3 Ti200 64MB (NVIDIA GeForce3 Ti 200 GPU), Power Pack Golden Sample, ( 4ns 64MB DDR. ). TV-Out. Overclocking enhanced performance mode.

this card has an overclock mode built in that is guaranteed to work. $131 shipped from newegg.com

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...ry=1387&DEPA=1
That's exactly where I bought the card. It clocks to Ti500 speeds effortlessly. Might even go a bit higher if I improved my case ventilation, but I don't like all that fan noise.
Old 05-07-02, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ok I know I need to upgrade my processer and motherboard, but how much performance should I expect to see in a good graphics card under $100.00? I am only running a P3 500, and using a very outdated Tnt2 Ultra. I know my lack of processing power will hurt any upgrade, but I really don't want to spend the money right now on a new system, which in the end I really need. Up until recently I have been able to run almost everything with no real problems but after running SOF2 and seeing the relative slowdown and then trying to run Medal of Honor.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.