Reload this Page >

Yahoo Mail Problems?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Yahoo Mail Problems?

Old 04-24-02, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yahoo Mail Problems?

All mail being sent to my Yahoo account is being bounced back. Anyone else having problems with them right now?
Old 04-24-02, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm getting that too. It comes and goes.
Old 04-24-02, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I just tried to send some mail and it bounced back.
Old 04-24-02, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Does this have anything to do with the fact they stopped Free Mail Forwarding at midnight?
Old 04-24-02, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I received mail okay, but i sent from one yahoo to another and it got bounced back with the following message:

failed after I sent the message.
Remote host said: 554 delivery error: dd Sorry, your message to
*****@yahoo.com cannot be delivered. This account has been
disabled or discontinued. - mta509.mail.yahoo.com

and I don't use mail forwarding or anything
Old 04-24-02, 04:29 PM

Originally posted by LBPound
Does this have anything to do with the fact they stopped Free Mail Forwarding at midnight?
Probably.... I would expect mail to yahoo to be kind of flaky over the next couple of days as they get the servers worked out, not to mention individual people who haven't figured out what to do w/ their accounts yet.

BTW anyone know how to delete a yahoo account?
Old 04-24-02, 04:32 PM

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
one of my yahoo email addresses is doing that, the other is fine.
Old 04-24-02, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by golucky
one of my yahoo email addresses is doing that, the other is fine.
ditto

the one that isn't working is setup to check other pop accounts, but isn't used for mail forwarding or the check it through a pop account...
Old 04-24-02, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by grrrah

ditto

the one that isn't working is setup to check other pop accounts, but isn't used for mail forwarding or the check it through a pop account...
I only have one Yahoo account and it is also setup to check other POP accounts, but doesn't do any kind of forwarding nor do I check it via a POP account.

I wonder if there's a connection here?
Old 04-24-02, 05:31 PM

yahoo is sucking arse right now. i posted a thread about them awhile back--it takes me like three or four tries to login in--keeps saying invalid password. grr, on every computer now (was just my home one but now it does this on every computer i have tried). royal pain in the butt. not going to be happy about that when i go overseas since i have to pay to use the net and logging in a million times may take awhile. gonna have to get a new email account before then.
Old 04-24-02, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

GOD DAMN. I paid for this POP service and it isn't working, it is saying my account got CANCELLED. THOSE FOCKERS. Of course, you can't call and complain because they charge you. FOCK. Should have never done this stupid PAY FOR CRAP, thing!
Old 04-25-02, 09:31 AM
Banned

Originally posted by chanster
GOD DAMN. I paid for this POP service and it isn't working, it is saying my account got CANCELLED. THOSE FOCKERS. Of course, you can't call and complain because they charge you. FOCK. Should have never done this stupid PAY FOR CRAP, thing!
I'm already so glad I didn't pay for their POP service when I can get it for free elsewhere.
Old 04-25-02, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by icondude

I'm already so glad I didn't pay for their POP service when I can get it for free elsewhere.
Ditto.
Old 04-25-02, 10:06 AM
Banned

From the Baltimore Sun:

http://www.sunspot.net/technology/pl...e%2Dcolumnists

Yahoo! change might bring unwanted mail online and off
April 25, 2002

IF YOU'RE ONE of the millions who use Yahoo! e-mail, you'd better check your messages now, or you could be getting a lot of mail you don't want - and maybe even a few phone calls from telemarketers.

The Web's most successful Internet portal has changed both its privacy policy and your "marketing preferences." The latter is Web-speak for your willingness to be subjected to advertising in your in box. Unless you change your profile by June 15, you'll give the Web site permission to send its advertisements not only to your Yahoo! mailbox, but also to your outside e-mail account, your regular postal mailbox and possibly even your phone.

I've always liked Yahoo!, but this is troubling conduct from one of the Web's few class acts. The site offers a superb, searchable Web index compiled by real humans (as opposed to software robots), along with excellent news feeds, financial information, e-mail, a personal calendar, online games, greeting cards and other features.

Until recently, these services were all free, in the sense that they were largely supported by advertising, and most of them are still free. But like other Web businesses hit hard by the dot-com bust and recession-driven advertising slump, Yahoo! has been feeling the pain. So it has begun charging for some services.

For example, e-mail subscribers who have had their Yahoo! messages forwarded to other e-mail accounts will now have to pay $29.95 a year for the privilege. The company killed its online Invitation service last month and now charges premiums to play some games, as well as for high-volume online photo, e-mail and file storage.

This isn't unusual - Web freebies have been disappearing everywhere during the past year - and Yahoo! doesn't owe anyone anything. But now it's moving from the upfront "opt-in" model, which requires your permission before you get advertising e-mail, to the more confusing "opt-out," model, which means automatically you'll get advertising e-mail from Yahoo! and its customers unless you tell Yahoo! to stop.

This would be only mildly annoying if it were limited to your Yahoo! mailbox. But Yahoo! has extended it to your external e-mail accounts and your home address and phone number, if you ever provided that information during some transaction with the service.

You'll find this explained in an e-mail that Yahoo! is sending to its members.

To turn the advertising off, you must go to the site's Marketing Preferences page and check or uncheck 16 different boxes. Don't ignore the message (it's flagged in blue) and be sure you read it through to the end - maybe two or three times. The fine print is very important these days.