Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Birthday Present: 1.33 Athlon vs. 1.4 Athlon vs. XP 1500+ HELP!

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-09-02, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So for my birthday my wife wants to get me a CPU. She doesn't want to hassle with online purchasing so my choices are:

1.33 Athlon - $130
1.4 Athlon - $150
XP 1500+ - $155

What is the best value here? Is it worth the extra money for a few more mhz?
Old 01-09-02, 01:49 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Get the XP for better multimedia and save some money over the prices you have listed there. I got a 1600+ for $122. That was an OEM version so I had to add a $9 high-quality fan (Volcano 6Cu).

Check out prices here:

http://www.pricewatch.com/menus/m3.htm
Old 01-09-02, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

We went online to newegg.com last night to buy a processor, I had the XP 1700+ in my cart with free shipping, and halfway through the checkout, it says that if I get a DOA or defective processor from them, I have to pay a 15% restocking fee. That is just silly, and really soured my wife on buying from them.
The store I am buying from is two minutes from my house, and I have bought from them before with no problem.
Old 01-09-02, 02:28 PM
X
Administrator

I didn't buy it from newegg. I really don't find their prices that good.

Well then maybe some of the overclockers we have around here could give you some suggestions as to how to squeeze some more performance out of a less expensive chip. What motherboard do you have? How fast is your memory?
Old 01-09-02, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I guess I am just a little leary of spending so much $$ on a company I don't know much about. I would also really like the retail version to get the 3 year warranty. I am getting a motherboard with the processor, I am thinking of going with the ECS K75SA since it has slots for SDRAM and DDRAM. Right now I have 2 512 SDRAM PC133 Chips I am planning on sticking in there. I should have bought the DDRAM when it was cheap.
Old 01-09-02, 03:31 PM
X
Administrator

That's the motherboard I got as well. It is not good for overclocking, so forget about that.

As for being afraid of a CPU going bad and the warranty doing you any good, you might want to get other people's advice on that. Mine has a 90 day warranty. I've been around long enough to know that if it doesn't go bad fast it won't be going bad. Three years warranty would be worth about $5 at most to me. You know that chip will cost at most $25 in three years.

You might want to do a search in this forum on that motherboard. There's some important info about potential problems and fixes. The only problem I encountered was really bad sound until I found the only version of the BIOS that fixed it. Of course it broke something else but I didn't care about that.
Old 01-09-02, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I am also looking at the GIGABYTE GA-7ZXE. I can't seem to find any reviews on that motherboard. You should see the debate raging at anandtech on the K75SA. It is just about 50-50 love/hate.

Oh I have done research, I am starting to lose sleep on this decision, you would think I was trying to come up with a new formula for nuclear fusion or something.
Old 01-09-02, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The other option if you want to use your SDRAM now and upgrade to DDR-SDRAM later, is the ALi Magik chipset. It was originally released a while ago so it's fairly mature by now. It's on its second rev and most manufacturers have tuned the BIOS as well as it's going to get for this chipset. I'm not a big fan of ALi, but if I were in your situation, I'd choose it over the SiS 735 based ECS board.

I believe I've seen a couple guys on this board that had some good things to say about the Asus A7A266.

As for buying retail vs. OEM, the only reason I'd buy retail is if I didn't want to bother buying and putting a heatsink on myself. As X said, if it doesn't go bad in the first 90 days, it'll likely become obsolete before it goes bad.
Old 01-10-02, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, my wife went over there last night and picked me up the GIGABYTE GA-7ZXE, and an Athlon XP 1600+ which ended up being $80 cheaper because they haven't updated their website with the new prices yet. I get home, put everything together, and the freaking keyboard port is bad. ARGH!
Old 01-10-02, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you want the ability to use SDR-RAM and DDR-RAM and $120 is in your budget I would suggest the ASUS A7A266 motherboard which uses the Ali Magik chipset mentioned earlier.

ASUS boards are very stable and are pretty good for overclocking if that desire comes to you in the future.

If you do want to overclock, get the T-Bird 1.4GHz as it is probably already unlocked. The XP processors are a pain to unlock though

I buy 99% of my parts from www.newegg.com and have never had a problem with them so if the savings is good I wouldn't hesitate to shop there.

Good Luck
Old 01-10-02, 05:22 PM
BT
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ditto what jumbop just said about newegg. You'll find that many of the folks here in the computer forum have purchased parts from newegg and I'd say that at least %90 (probably more) are completely satisfied with their purchases and would buy again from them. I know I would

If you want to take the gigabyte back, I'd suggest going with the ECS motherboard. I have the K7S5A paired with a plain Athlon 1.4 and it is a very stable very fast machine. You'll also be able to use your SDRAM now and upgrade to DDR RAM without having to buy a new motherboard. it's also a very cheap mb. I highly recommend the ECS board.

-BT
Old 01-10-02, 09:38 PM

Might be late,but check out www.mwave.com
Old 01-11-02, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Demontooth
Well, my wife went over there last night and picked me up the GIGABYTE GA-7ZXE, and an Athlon XP 1600+ which ended up being $80 cheaper because they haven't updated their website with the new prices yet. I get home, put everything together, and the freaking keyboard port is bad. ARGH!
i would double check the screws. i remember a few motherboards had grounding issues where one of the screws that held the motherbaord to the case cuased the case to short out the keyboard port. make sure to use a washer( non metal) or a non conductive standoff.

of course if you did that then maybe you do have a bad keyboard port

Personally I always believe in paying more and going with a better builder like ASUS

worth it in the long run. they can have problems but the odds are smaller.
Old 01-11-02, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by dta316
Might be late,but check out www.mwave.com
I second that - Just got a new ASUS A7M133C mobo and ATI Radeon VE from them and the prices were great and they shipped extremely fast (I ordered Saturday and had it by Tuesday - but then again, it only had to go from Industry, CA to San Diego, CA).
Old 01-11-02, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by gcribbs

i would double check the screws. i remember a few motherboards had grounding issues where one of the screws that held the motherbaord to the case cuased the case to short out the keyboard port. make sure to use a washer( non metal) or a non conductive standoff.

of course if you did that then maybe you do have a bad keyboard port

Personally I always believe in paying more and going with a better builder like ASUS

worth it in the long run. they can have problems but the odds are smaller.
I should have took the board out and put it back in first, it turned out to be a mounting issue, I just took it out and mounted it again, now everything works fine. Go figure. I checked out reviews and message boards on just about every brand. For every one person who loves a motherboard, there are three people who hate it. I went with the Gigabyte because I know someone who has one and hasn't had any problems.