Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

New to DVD-ROM drives, having a problem....

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-07-02, 09:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey everybody, i have a friend who is having a dvd rom drive problem. the PC is about 2 years old, it's a gateway, win98se, and it came with a pioneer dvd rom drive, model dvd-114. he's never even used the drive to try to play a dvd until just now and he got an error message about the decoder being wrong. it said that he need to update my decoder or decoder driver...something like that. i don't know squat about dvd rom drives and decoders so i thought i'd throw this one out at you guys. we went to pioneers web site and found the latest drivers and firmware updates. after extracting the drivers i found that it's the same driver that is already being used by the drive, dating back to 1998. i haven't tried the firmware update yet, but didn't really want to unless you think, or better yet know, that it will fix the problem. i did check the firmware on the drive and it is older than the 2 updates on their website. what do you guys think? i'm fairly certain his gateway does not have a decoder card, or hardware decoder. i'm pretty certain it's software, but i'm not positive. i appreciate the help.
Old 01-07-02, 09:53 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
First, don't update the DVD-ROM driver unless you have a specific reason to. Like known problems that have been fixed or making the drive regionless.

It sounds like the DVD playing software is either not there or not all there. You could try downloading a trial copy of WinDVD or PowerDVD and see if that works better. I think it's merely a software player issue.