Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

DVD-Rom TV Out on Holloywood Plus Card is this normal?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-06-02, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey not sure if this is the proper forum or not but... I have a Toshiba DVD-Rom player with a Holloywood Plus Decoder Card & my computer has 192 MBs of RAM and an Intel Celeron 400 MH processor, On the computer the DVD's play flawlessly, Region 2 DVD's on the TV out when I hook up an S-Video cable to my TV the Video looks very good but it looks like in some areas that the video is a little choppy kinda studdering. Is this because of my Graphic card on my computer? I only have a standard graphics card on my computer not a fancy 3D, gaming one. Or is it because of the PAL conversion from the computer doesn't work very well when played on the TV? Like I said it plays perfectly on my computer only when I play it out to my TV does it look like it is kinda choppy not so bad that I can't watch it after awhile you don't notice it because you get used to it. The picture is still perfect but the video movement is not as smooth. The TV is a Philips Magnavox TV(only 1 year old).

So any suggestion or idea's why this is happening?? I am in the process of getting a better graphics card but have not got it yet.
Old 01-06-02, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't deal with PAL video very much so I'm not sure, but I'm guessing that it's as you suspeected. PAL's 25 frames/sec is probably not being converted well on the Hollywood Plus' video encoder which has to convert it to NTSC's 30 frames/sec for your TV.

Your video card doesn't have anything to do with the display of the DVD image. The Hollywood Plus card uses an overlay so it handles the DVD video processing exclusively.