Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Computer Case

Old 01-03-02, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Computer Case

How can you tell what size case you have? AT ATX? Mine seems like a large case, 3 x 5.25", 2 x 3.5", so I'm guessing it's ATX?
Old 01-03-02, 08:47 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
ATX will have a 1.75"x6" panel on the back of the case with serial, parallel, mouse, keyboard, USB, and maybe a few other ports sticking out of it. ATX motherboards have the ports built into them fitted to match up with this panel
Old 01-03-02, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: Computer Case

Originally posted by Lampei
How can you tell what size case you have? AT ATX? Mine seems like a large case, 3 x 5.25", 2 x 3.5", so I'm guessing it's ATX?
AT vs ATX is what type of power you use.. not the size of the case

AT is the old type of power cable

ATX is the newer type that supports more of the advanced features

if your computer was bought in the past 4 years.. its most likely ATX
Old 01-03-02, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk God

hmmm..

now that I read the question again.. maybe that wasnt the answer your looking for

my answer.. was given the assumption that power supply is already in the case.. and your asking what type of case and power supply you have
Old 01-03-02, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So ATX is the power supply? Each time I read about a case, I thought it was talking about case size not the power supply.
Old 01-03-02, 09:15 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Lampei
So ATX is the power supply? Each time I read about a case, I thought it was talking about case size not the power supply.
ATX is the term used for the case style that accomodates the motherboard-integrated ports, the motherboard, and the different voltage/connector power supply used to power the motherboard. They all go together. If you get an ATX motherboard you need the ATX case and the ATX power supply.
Old 01-03-02, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

AT isn't around much anymore.

It is mainly ATX, Flex ATX and Micro ATX now, which basically all refer to the motherboard size.

Unless you happen to have an emachine, who knows what the hell size those motherboards are! Anyone?

The physical case size/style is often referred to as desktop, mini tower, mid tower and full tower. From the sound of it you have a mid tower.