Problems playing AVI files under XP

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-02-02, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Everyone!

It seems that since I installed Windows XP Professional on one of my systems at home, I am unable to play most AVI files (no matter which player I try to play them from.)

I seem to have a problem with the Codec for my ATI Rage Fury video card. I have one or two older AVI's that play with no problem but I'm starting to download AVI's of TV Series that I have missed when they were on and I can't play them (I had no problems under 2000.)

Anyone have any suggestions? I've installed the latest video driver for my ATI Video Card and installed the ATI Software. All I get when I play these AVI files is audio, no video. Media Player says, "Error downloading Codec" and the ATI and Real One players give no error at all. ATI's player just plays the audio like it's an MP3 and Real One doesn't do anything.

HELP! I'd like to avoid reinstalling XP if possible!
Old 01-02-02, 09:14 AM
Mod Emeritus

Try this. I'm guessing it will solve your problems.

http://download.divx.com/divx/DivX412Codec.exe
Old 01-02-02, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

There are all kinds of codecs and the file ending in AVI really could mean anything. If the file you are trying to open is encoded with divx or Mpeg 4 you may need to install that codec. I would bet its a divx file.

The Mystery Science Theater 3000 AVI files I download are encoded with Mpeg 4 and the audio is compressed to an MP3. It can give some software video players problems without the codecs installed.
Old 01-02-02, 07:46 PM

Yeah these are actually episodes of Stargate SG1 that i downloaded through Morpheus. They play fine on my Windows 2000 PC but not under my XP machine.

I'm going to install the DIVX codec and see what happens... I have the SMR plugin too but I don't think it's that.

Thanks for the recommendations!
Old 01-02-02, 07:54 PM

Thanks gang! The Divx install fixed my problem!
Old 01-03-02, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Ben732
Thanks gang! The Divx install fixed my problem!
I was having a similar problem. In properties it says the the video compression is MS-MPEG 4 V3. I've downloaded the Divx codec and can now play it through Window's Media Player. I would really like to convert it to VCD but TMPGEnc doesn't seem to support the format it is in. Any ideas? Vcdhelp.com seems to be down, but I haven't tried using it in a few weeks. Did it disappear? I am also running XP.
Old 01-03-02, 11:27 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by Alvis

I was having a similar problem. In properties it says the the video compression is MS-MPEG 4 V3. I've downloaded the Divx codec and can now play it through Window's Media Player. I would really like to convert it to VCD but TMPGEnc doesn't seem to support the format it is in. Any ideas? Vcdhelp.com seems to be down, but I haven't tried using it in a few weeks. Did it disappear? I am also running XP.

Use virtualdub and conver to raw avi or another avi format supported by tmpgenc (pretty sure indeo is fine). Then convert the resulting avi in tmpgenc.
Old 01-03-02, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Jason Northrup

Use virtualdub and conver to raw avi or another avi format supported by tmpgenc (pretty sure indeo is fine). Then convert the resulting avi in tmpgenc.
Thanks, that did the trick.