Reload this Page >

noisy fan on power supply

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-02-02, 12:01 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the fan on my power supply is suddenly acting up. it occasionally makes an awful whirring noise on bootup (1 out of every 10 bootups) and it goes away if you tip the machine back past a certain angle. it also occasionally jsut starts making the noise and the noise fluctuates from barely noticable to LOUD. is it simply time for a new power supply? whats the deal?
Old 01-02-02, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sounds like the ball bearings in the fan are wearing out. I have no idea if you can lube them up again or not. Power supplies are only about $30-40, if you're thinking of just replacing it don't forget to check out www.pricewatch.com

This site also had a similar question and similar answer:
http://www.duxcw.com/faq/ps/ps.htm
Just scroll down a bit, it's the 2nd question.
Old 01-02-02, 05:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just unplug all the power. Remove your power supply. Take out the fan. Peel off the sticker in the middle. Peel off the rubber seal underneath it. Put one or two drops of machine oil into it. Then seal it back up.

Or you could just replace the fan altogether. Should only cost 5 bucks and most power supplies use standard 8cm case fans, available at most electronics stores.
Old 01-02-02, 08:22 AM
Banned

thanks.
Old 01-02-02, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you do be careful, power supplies have capacitors which can give you a powerful shock if you touch them! Read the warning label on the PS