Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Have the new parts but one question before boot up...

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 12-25-01, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi members, quick question, I finally have all of my comp upgrade parts and I was wondering something. I have the Epox 8hka+ mobo and an amd 1600xp athlon. What im wondering is is there anything else I would be forgetting besdies installing the chip, along with heatsink and the new memory and all the cords and then cant I just move my HD from the old comp to the new one and after all the other drives are installed and all the cords are where theyre supposed to go is there anything else im missing beofre boot up?

Also I have read reports about the thermal pad that is at the bottom of the volcano 5 HeatSink from thermaltake and am I safe to just use that or should I wait till I can get some thermal grease instead?

Thanks
Old 12-25-01, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Have the new parts but one question before boot up...

Originally posted by Duck
Hi members, quick question, I finally have all of my comp upgrade parts and I was wondering something. I have the Epox 8hka+ mobo and an amd 1600xp athlon. What im wondering is is there anything else I would be forgetting besdies installing the chip, along with heatsink and the new memory and all the cords and then cant I just move my HD from the old comp to the new one and after all the other drives are installed and all the cords are where theyre supposed to go is there anything else im missing beofre boot up?

Also I have read reports about the thermal pad that is at the bottom of the volcano 5 HeatSink from thermaltake and am I safe to just use that or should I wait till I can get some thermal grease instead?

Thanks
The thermal pad should be safe for non overclocking or minor overclocking.

Using the hard drive with the old drivers of another computer can be troublesome. It is safer to use a fresh install of windows. I spent hours longer on an install recently due to this when i built a computer for a friend who was too lazy to backup

make sure you have boot discs, cdrs of all the new drivers and keep the airconditioning high. It helps me to remain cool
Old 12-26-01, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

gcribbs....about the HD what I am doing is taking the HD from my old system and moving it to my new system along with of course my cdrw and dvdrom and sound card etc, etc.. but shouldnt it be fine to move the HD over and hopefully just hook everything up and go ahead? I have a 60gig HD and its not all full but like 20gigs is so hopefully I wont have to do a clean install because im not really reinstalling anything im just moving the hd to a new HD so I figured it would be fine...am i wrong?
Old 12-26-01, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Your moving a HD with Windows already installed right? That means it has drivers for your old motherboard on it as well as old cards, etc.

You can sometimes get away with this, it's best to remove stuff like your IDE drivers in device manager. It is always best to do a clean install of Windows when changing motherboards.
Old 12-26-01, 01:39 AM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Have the new parts but one question before boot up...

I'm removing the thermal pad from a Volcano 6 and going out to get some Arctic Silver tomorrow before I finish installing a 1600 XP. I never use the pads even on cooler-running chips. Not that I've had any bad history with the pads, just that I like to do things the right way the first time and I believe in running chips as cool as possible.
Old 12-26-01, 03:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Scarcrow..yes my HD has windows 98se installed already and hopefully removing the existing drivers will help, thanks for the advise. I would do a clean install but I have so many digital video files (around 7gigs) that I dont want to have to move them or burn them before the change so im hoping this will work..

HOLD ON.....wait a minute, duh, I forogt that I have my HD partitioned into two drives exactly for something like this. I have my windows and games and apps all on my C and my files all on D so I can just format C and reinstall then that should be fine right? If so ill just do that and leave D alone...anyway, the only thermal grease I can find locally without going to a comp store is Antec thermal grease from Best Buy..not familiar with it..thanx..
Old 12-26-01, 03:41 AM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
...the only thermal grease I can find locally without going to a comp store is Antec thermal grease from Best Buy..not familiar with it..thanx..
I might have to do something similar for a few days too. I don't know for sure that I can buy Arctic Silver II locally although I would go to a computer store if they had it. I have some generic stuff around here so I might use it until I get the A.S.II. I still think that's better than the pad.