Reload this Page >

My scanner won't work

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

My scanner won't work

Old 12-24-01, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My scanner won't work

I had some trouble with my computer a while back and then had to re-install everything. Well, for some reason, my scanner will not work anymore. I get a help box that says
1. Power adapter is plugged in.
2. USB cable is properly connected
3. USB is enabled in bios

Well I know it's plugged in to power, I know that the USB cable is plugged in, but I have no idea what BIOS is. I think the problem is probably my drivers. The scanner is a Visioneer 6200 and the O/S is ME. I went to the visioneer website and downloaded the updated drivers, but that still didn't work. Not sure what to do, and what is BIOS?
thanks guys
Old 12-25-01, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

USB enabled in BIOS approximately means that your computer is set up to use the capabilities of USB. I don't have a technical definition for you right now, since it's late and I'm full, but that's a good message to have. What do you mean when you said you reinstalled everything? Does that mean you reinstalled Windows ME all over again? The only problem I can think of are:

a) your USB cable is not properly connected to either the scanner or the back of the computer (aka it's loose).
b) your drivers are not properly updated. To check this, go into Control Panel/System/Device Manager, and see if there is a +(plus) next to Imaging devices. Click on that plus and see if your Visioneer 6200 is listed there. If so, double click on it, and click on the drivers tab(if there is one), and see if it says Drivers properly installed or something to that effect.
Old 12-25-01, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by huzefa
USB enabled in BIOS approximately means that your computer is set up to use the capabilities of USB. I don't have a technical definition for you right now, since it's late and I'm full, but that's a good message to have. What do you mean when you said you reinstalled everything? Does that mean you reinstalled Windows ME all over again? The only problem I can think of are:

a) your USB cable is not properly connected to either the scanner or the back of the computer (aka it's loose).
b) your drivers are not properly updated. To check this, go into Control Panel/System/Device Manager, and see if there is a +(plus) next to Imaging devices. Click on that plus and see if your Visioneer 6200 is listed there. If so, double click on it, and click on the drivers tab(if there is one), and see if it says Drivers properly installed or something to that effect.
It isn't even listed there. All there is there is my pc camera.
Old 12-25-01, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hmm.... either the cable connecting the scanner to the PC is bad, or the drivers are not installed properly. Did you download the right drivers? If so, I'd suggest connecting the scanner to another PC just to see if it works there. Also I would email Visioneer tech support to see if there are any issues relating to your scanner and Windows ME.