Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Need Help activating 2 optional USB ports!

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 12-22-01, 11:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a barbones unit with the Iwill KA266Plus. The board has 2 external USB ports and then it has 2 connections for adding 2 USB prots. I bought the USB Motherboard Dual Port cable and plugged it in but I get nothing when trying these two new USB ports. Is there something I should be doing to turn these two on? I figured maybe this was a common thing so some of you guys would know. Any infor would be GREATLY appreciated.

THANKS.
Old 12-22-01, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

there should be a bios setting for enabling usb ports. for my soyo board, i turned all USB ports enabled.
Old 12-23-01, 02:33 AM
Video Gamer Reviewers

did you check your instruction manual?

is there a dip switch? or jumper? are you sure you plugged it in correctly?

i know with mine... i sort of plugged it in wrong...
Old 12-23-01, 09:34 AM

I read the manual and it points out that they are there but says nothing about having to set jumpers. I plugged the adapter in according to the picture. I'm wondering if it will hurt anything to change them around? Hmmm... I really thought that I would find something on Iwill's web site but nothing there either. Thanks for the response. I'll try flipping them.
Old 12-23-01, 10:09 AM

I have a FIC VA-503+ motherboard that has jacks for 2 USB cables on a riser card.

I bought the riser card at the same time as the motherboard, but didn't get around to hooking it up for some time. When I did hook up the USB jacks and set the jumpers/bios ect, I also could not get them to work.

After some swearing and such, I re-installed Windows 98, at which point the USB jacks worked fine.

Just my experience.

Good luck.

Benjamin
Old 12-23-01, 04:12 PM

Uggghhhh... I hope I don't need to re-install 98SE. Maybe that is what I'll end up having to try and do though. I'll wait to see if I get any feedback from Iwill about their board since I sent them an email.

Thanks for all of the responses.
Old 12-24-01, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

don't know if the drivers will help but VIA has new 4-in-1 drivers (36?) that may help out.

also, try the other usb connector. i have two (USB3-4, and 5-6) and i initially connected the cable to 3-4. but i don't think i had the bios setting to turn them on. i moved the cable to 5-6 and turned the bios setting to ENABLE ALL USB and it worked. not sure if that matters. no jumpers for me.
Old 12-24-01, 03:36 PM

young-

It does have two plugs side by side. One for each USB connection BUT the card/connector that I bought has two plugins as well with one for each plugin on the motherboard and 2 USB ports. Neither of these work. I reinstalled Win98SE last night to see if it would recognize it but NOTHING. Still dead in the water. I've looked through the BIOS settings and I've turned on the regular EXTERNAL USB and Keyboard USB options. These are the only 2 things that mention USB and I enabled both. I'm not sure what to do. I guess I'm going to take back the dual port USB connector that I bought and see if another one will work. Iwill hasn't responded to my email I sent to them about the situation with their motherboard.
Old 12-27-01, 11:49 AM

Well, I've tried another USB Internal to External adapter set and still NOTHING. I have to be missing something. I thought surely after reloading Win98SE that it would work and nothing. Now I've tried a new adapter. I'm not sure what else to do. Any other suggestions?