Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you ever wish you didn't know anything about computers?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 11-06-01, 08:19 AM
Video Gamer Reviewers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I find I do... just the thought of all the possible problems running through my head... give me a headache. I'd just love to be able to give my computer to someone else to fix... I'm not sure what's wrong with it now. I think the RAM is failing on this computer... which isn't too much to repair... but this is my secondary computer and my primary computer has a dead processor... which I'm patiently wanting to get replaced... but the guy I am supposed to contact just never seems to get my last email with the final information...
Old 11-06-01, 08:30 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Yeah, I do. Then I would have to change professions though. Which could be a good thing.
Old 11-06-01, 08:46 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Eventually this wish can come true. I used to be an expert.
Old 11-06-01, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by randyc
Eventually this wish can come true. I used to be an expert.
Old 11-06-01, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

One time, in the yearly Christmas letter my Mom writes, she wrote something like "if you have any computer questions, ask Dan!" Everytime I visit relatives now I'm bombed with computer questions. Ugh. I hate it.
Old 11-06-01, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Actually, I feel sorry for the "unwashed masses" who think that AOL is the Internet, and that PCs are just an "AOL appliance".

I can't imagine not knowing how: to write my own code when the mood strikes (like my DVDProTrack tool), capture video, burn VideoCDs for playback on DVD players, author multimedia CDROMs for my kids' elementary school, digitally doctor up photos, play around and mix MP3s, create webpages, download streaming media like realvideo and ASF for viewing offline, automatically downloading entire websites and burning them on CDRom for future reference, and thousands of other things.

The only problem I have is that there are only 24 hours in a day.
Old 11-06-01, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by sracer
Actually, I feel sorry for the "unwashed masses" who think that AOL is the Internet, and that PCs are just an "AOL appliance".

I can't imagine not knowing how: to write my own code when the mood strikes (like my DVDProTrack tool), capture video, burn VideoCDs for playback on DVD players, author multimedia CDROMs for my kids' elementary school, digitally doctor up photos, play around and mix MP3s, create webpages, download streaming media like realvideo and ASF for viewing offline, automatically downloading entire websites and burning them on CDRom for future reference, and thousands of other things.

The only problem I have is that there are only 24 hours in a day.

Eh......

For a lot of people, the PC is just an internet appliance.
Old 11-06-01, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator

Originally posted by sracer
A lot of car people think the same way about people who can't change their brake pads or understand how the transmission works or know what it means when a tire is rated at 140 wear. Many people just want to drive, and if they can do that, they are happy.

Really, it was almost a joke that I was always tearing apart computers. I custom assembled them for friends. I set them up for companies. I was the Novell Netware guru. And I got sick of doing it.

It got to the point where I just wanted the damn stuff to work and do what I wanted it to do. I was burnt out on keeping up with it and purposely quit trying to stay current. Maybe it's from being from the old school and learning the CPM stuff and then the DOS stuff.

Then it comes down to that last point you made. There are only 24 hours in a day and for many people, they use those hours for things other than computers.
Old 11-06-01, 03:02 PM
Video Gamer Reviewers

Originally posted by danw
One time, in the yearly Christmas letter my Mom writes, she wrote something like "if you have any computer questions, ask Dan!" Everytime I visit relatives now I'm bombed with computer questions. Ugh. I hate it.
Yeah... family members, friends, friends of friends... neighbors used to always bombard me with questions. trying to open everything in word. word won't run this program. blah...
Old 11-06-01, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sometimes I wish I could go back to 1981 to prevent myself from ever coming near a home computer. Because I ended up with a 20-year hobby that eats up too much of my precious time.

I miss the old days of command line operating systems...because it kept the majority of nitwits off the Internet. (Thanks, AOL)
Old 11-09-01, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I know what you mean ...

Everyone and their dog seems to think that i'm some sort of computer guru ... and they come to me with some of the most inane stuff you can imagine. I'm usually pretty calm about things but what's starting to get to me is the whole "free customer service" thing. You know, "come over for a sec and see what's happening with my computer. I can't get it to burn this and that ..." "Can I waste an hour or two on the phone with you?" I don't mind helping people but it gets annoying after awhile.

I'm sure that people here have gone through this.

I think i'm going to start lying and tell people that I don't know what the internet is much less know anything about computers. I'm gonna have to tell everyone that knows me to pass it around as well.
Old 11-09-01, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts
I like knowing about computers, and I like helping people out when I can, but I have a hard time with some people who are totally clueless with their questions.

Questions like "You know in Yahoo, where you click at the top to go into the thing, it never works right for me. Why does it work right for him but not for me?"

How the hell do you answer that one?
Old 11-09-01, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Start charging and they will stop coming to you. I know this guy who charged $40 to rebuild a harddrive because the person had so much stuff they didn't use anymore and wanted to start all over again. One of the first things I taught myself was to reformat and startup clean.
Old 11-09-01, 05:01 PM
wiz
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Every damn day!

All I get are people asking me questions that only take a minute to answer and figure out for them, but when they ask you twice a day...it gets repetitive.