Reload this Page >

How do I start over again?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 10-26-01, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My parents PC is pissing me off..I just want to wipe the whole thing clean and start over...

(they have nothing important saved)

How do I go about doing this?

Just insert the Windows disc and reintall? Is there a way I can wipe everything off first?

Thanks
Old 10-27-01, 12:51 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First, format the hdd and then do a clean install of window.
Old 10-27-01, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow... are you serious? The only reason I ask, is because if you have to ask a question like this, you might want to start with a PC that doesn't mean anything to anyone, or have a tech buddy standing by to help.

It's not that difficult really, but there's a lot of pitfalls you can fall into if you're not careful or never done it before -- the most obvious of course will be lost data and programs. Make sure there's nothing on the drive you want to keep and that you have all the software nessessary for the re-install BEFORE you format that drive.

Once you reach this point, boot with the windows boot disk, then type "format c:\ /u". Answer all questions in the affirmative. If you want to play with partitions, now's the time to do that. Type "FDISK" at the dos prompt.
Old 10-27-01, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

what does /u do? I have never used /u when formatting my HDD
Old 10-27-01, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
what operating system are you putting on it?

boot with a win95 cdrom boot disk
type fdisk
delete all partitions
create a new primary partition
reboot with boot disk again
format c: /u
reboot again with boot disk
load whichever operating system your using

of course.. if your using an operating system that has a bootable cdrom drive, the instructions could be shortened a little.. but that will work on any of them
Old 10-28-01, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by shaun3000
what does /u do? I have never used /u when formatting my HDD
/u means "unconditional". It doesn't ask many questions and doesn't try to save an image in case you decide you made a mistake formatting the drive.

Another fun one, but one they have taken out of some versions of DOS (and why I didn't include it) is /autotest. This is an undocumented feature and will ask you NO questions, it will simply format the drive, then drop you back to the DOS prompt. Sadly, it cannot be combined with /q (quick format).
Old 10-28-01, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If I'm reinstalling, I generally take a ghost image of the PC/hard disk first (and save on a second hard disk).

If I have a "spare" or "working" hard disk, I'll do a fresh install on that and then ghost across to the hard disk that I want to use in the PC (if you can borrow one from a friend for a day or so that's just as good).

On the hard disk you're looking at installing - format the hard disk to plain old FAT. Second, create a "source" directory (C:\source) and stick ALL the source software you think you'll ever need - c:\source\win98, c:\source\modem, c:\source\sound....well, you get the picture. Try and put as many patches in this directory as you can as well.

Then reboot to dos and run setup from the subdirectory you've just created.

By installing the OS from the hard disk, the registry will remember this as the source location, so if you lose the CD or add an extra drive, you won't need to worry about having to change the registry to accomodate the changes.

Make sure also (especially if it's someone else's PC) that you get all their data backed up and that you have the original copies of all the programs you plan on installing later. It's an obvious one, but I cannot remember the number of times that I've had to stop an install half way through to try and find "that extra disk".

Also make sure that you write down their internet info (phone number, dns, etc before cleaning the PC).

The major advantage to installing to a working disk, is that if you stuff something up, you simply boot to the old hard disk and find out the setting you need.

Hope this helps.