Reload this Page >

Help with motherboard/case installation

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 10-16-01, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dad had an HP computer on which the video portion died(video was built in). We bought him a new motherboard and case, and I'm working on building it for him. Quick question, I have been connecting the wires for the power, led's, etc, and one of the wires says 'power sw' What does this mean, and where should I connect it?
Old 10-16-01, 04:29 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds like power switch to me. Is it a fairly thick wire?
Old 10-16-01, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Help with motherboard/case installation

Originally posted by ESUguy
My dad had an HP computer on which the video portion died(video was built in). We bought him a new motherboard and case, and I'm working on building it for him. Quick question, I have been connecting the wires for the power, led's, etc, and one of the wires says 'power sw' What does this mean, and where should I connect it?
It's power switch. Look in your mobo manual to be 100% sure. In the last year I've built and upgraded machines with 3 different cases and a few different mobo's. They are all slightly different. Ticks me off.
Old 10-16-01, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't think it's the power wire. There was one that covered 3 prong things, and I think that was it. This one just covers 2 like the others. I thought it may be the reset switch or something.
Old 10-16-01, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

They are all different

Originally posted by ESUguy
I don't think it's the power wire. There was one that covered 3 prong things, and I think that was it. This one just covers 2 like the others. I thought it may be the reset switch or something.
Like I said they are all different. Motherboards I had the reset said reset or reset sw. Your manual should have a diagram and tell you where everything goes. I think it's allright to experiment. I put the wires wrong on more than one board and everything turned out allright.
Old 10-16-01, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: They are all different

Originally posted by teplitsa

Like I said they are all different. Motherboards I had the reset said reset or reset sw. Your manual should have a diagram and tell you where everything goes. I think it's allright to experiment. I put the wires wrong on more than one board and everything turned out allright.
yeah i did it wrong once and it just wouldn't turn on. i opened up and realized i screwed up.

it booted fine once i put them on right.
Old 10-17-01, 05:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Power SW is for the power switch - I believe on newer motherboards, the switch is controlled electronically, and its behavior can be set in the BIOS (sleep or power off, etc.)

RD